Thread: 3D here to stay this time around.

Default 3D here to stay this time around.

A couple of years ago, when 'Avatar' came out in 3D, there was a discussion here about the subject of 3D movies. Specifically, there have been many times that 3D has been heralded as the future of the cinema. It was pointed out by a few that, this time around, would be no different than before; it would be short-live. I disagreed at the time.

I came back to the U.S. for Christmas and this past weekend I took my grandchildren to the cinema to see 'Hugo' in 3D. What struck me as very different was that all of the trailers for upcoming films were also now in 3D. One of the those trailers was for the coming re-release of 'Titanic' in 3D. I had seen it in its original form and was simply amazed at what the computerized 3D conversion of the scenes looked like. It was jaw dropping.

The reason why I think 3D is now here to stay this time around in because of one word - DIGITAL. Theaters across the world are quickly converting to digital projection. Most films are now shot on digital instead of 35mm film. And the filmmakers of today depend on digital software systems to do post production. And there is a growing proliferation of 3D digital film cameras. The age of 'film' is going the way of the Dodo. And, therefore, now is 3D's time to shine.

Of course, there will still be the purists who will continue their art of filmmaking using the classical real film cameras, but they too will need to convert their creations to digital for projection houses. Kodak, Fuji and all the renowned film making companies are going the way of the Polaroid Land camera. In a way it is a shame, but they too will pass away like the dinosaurs. This time around 3D has come into its element and is the future of Hollywood. Too bad.

I've yet to see a 3D movie. Does that make me a dinosaurs.

im not sure if its having to wear the glasses (i dont wear glasses) or what ever, but, 3D movies allways make me feel queasy :-(

until they perfect the technology so i dont have to wear the glasses .... im not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've yet to see a 3D movie. Does that make me a dinosaurs.
    Yes, that makes you a 'Blue-Rex' (Not to be confused with Blu Ray).