Thread: Need to render before Trial runs out....but problems.

Default Need to render before Trial runs out....but problems.

I am currently using a Try Out version of Adobe Premiere Elements and it's only got 8 days left. I have made a few music video clips and have been very impressed with the editing side of the application. However I now need to export the clips to movie before my trial runs out, or all that hard work will be for nothing. The MPEG and DVD option are not available on Try Out, so I am exporting to AVI.

When I export to AVI (I have TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress to encode to MPEG2 later) the rendered playback of these movies is very choppy, jerky, especially in slow motion scenes, it almost stutters through the process. Also there are a few lines around any moving parts. Is it because the original footage was captured from VHS to my Sony DV Camera, and imported to premiere as DV??

During the editing process, the video playback was fautless in the little monitor?? Very confused, any suggestions where I am going wrong??

is the exported avi jerky?

if not, it's a problem at the encoding stage.

I'm not really au fait with tmpgenc's in-depth options, but what level of motion compensation are you using? are you definitely encoding pal>pal or ntsc>ntsc, not pal>ntsc or ntsc>pal?

What frame rate are you making it if you're doing ntsc, 29fps or 24fps? Does that match the original video?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Hi thanks for your response.

I've not yet touched the encoding stage yet, I've not put it through TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress. I have captured and imported 13 mins of DV Footage. Editing it down to a 4min 30sec Music/Video Clip. Now when I choose Export Movie and choose the following settings;

Export
    Video and audio
    Entire Timeline

Filetype
    Microsoft DV AVI

Video Settings
    Compressor: DV (PAL)
    Frame size: 720h 576v (1.067)
    Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV PAL (1.067)
    Color depth: Millions of colors
    Quality: 100 (out of 100)
    Fields: Lower Field First

Audio Settings
    Compressor: Uncompressed
    Sample rate: 48000 samples/second
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample type: 16-bit

....the playback of this movie file is very jerky, choppy and the slow motion stutters instead of smooth playback. When I edited it in the timeframe monitor, playback was very smooth. The thing is, if I now encode my saved AVI file that's very choppy, will it still be choppy when turned into MPEG2??? Is there something I am missing when I export it using the above settings??

..just wondered if there was some vital setting upon export, that I was missing out, thus causing the outputted movie to be jerky and stuttery??

Do you think a defrag helps before you render a movie?

so u have exported a AVI, when played its choppy?

it will be, because the bitrate is so high, your pc can't handle the avi to playit smooth, but I am 99% the avi file is fine.

If you convert it to mpeg, I bet its ok!
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card

he's converting to DV-avi though, it should be played back fine.

Where in the world are you? You haven't shot NTSC footage, but exported as pal have you?

was the original capture jerky?

defragging is certainly worth a go, but i'm sure you'd have noticed other things being slow if your pc has trouble reading 4MB/sec.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Quote Originally Posted by mrlipring
    Where in the world are you? You haven't shot NTSC footage, but exported as pal have you?
    I've updated my profile to show my location now. Sunny, dry Manchester I've done it all in PAL format.

was the original capture jerky?

defragging is certainly worth a go, but I'm sure you'd have noticed other things being slow if your pc has trouble reading 4MB/sec.
    Here are the specs of my PC setup

Processor(s)
    Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
    Installed Memory : 768MB DDR-SDRAM
    Monitor/Panel : Hansol 920D
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    System Drive: Maxtor 30GB 5400rpm
    Video File Drive: Western Digital 120GB 7200rpm
    CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON LTR-16102B
    CD-ROM/DVD : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A

I've upgraded several components since I got the PC 5 years ago, the only thing left and probably needing an upgrade now is the Graphics Card. Is my graphics card to slow to do any serious editing, capture and exporting of video??

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheWay
    so you have exported a AVI, when played its choppy?

it will be, because the bitrate is so high, your pc can't handle the avi to playit smooth, but I am 99% the avi file is fine.

If you convert it to mpeg, I bet its ok!
    Is that what I should do then, encode it all to MPEG2 and see if it improves on the exported AVI??? I'll try that, it's only 4 half mins duration so it shouldn't take too long to encode.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJollyJones
    I've updated my profile to show my location now. Sunny, dry Manchester
    Bwahahahahaha, we shall take over the world

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I did defrag and when it exported this time the output was smiles better , the slow motion whilst not perfect in harmony is not as jumpy as previous. I notice that where the slow motion is involving the camera panning a little and the subject moving there is some jumpiness there. Is there anything in this clip settings you think could help that particular scene??

...or have I got everything slow motion friendly accounted for there??

These are the default settings I'm using when exporting the movie.

In the last one (Keyframe and Rendering) I have other rendering options like; No Fields (progressive scan), and Upper Fields First, and as you can see there's the option to Deinterlace Video Footage...but I'm not sure what all of them mean, and weather they will help the slow motion bits of the video??

...I am just nitpicking a little now though, because like I said the output AVI file is miles smoother better than before, maybe I should go ahead and covert to MPEG2 now??

The bitrate of the AVI file is 1536kbps, I'm just wondering if my old GeForce 2MX Graphics Card is not powerfull enough to play it back smoothly?