Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle Studio AV/DV card and Premiere

Default Pinnacle Studio AV/DV card and Premiere

I own the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV 9 card and I kind of "outgrew" its software (Pinnacle Studio 9.4 full). I'm thinking of buying Adobe Premiere 6.0 (not Pro), which I've been using a while ago, but I don't know if it will work with this card. Can you please advise (and please don't tell me to download the trial version of AP)?

Blog Entries

If you use the card for analogue capture, you'll probably have to use Studio for the capture (unless AP picks it up as a firewire device). If it provides any kind of h/w acceleration, then no, it won't work at all.

Failing that, Adobe Premiere will work with any video (but ideally DV).

The Pinnacle Studio AV/DV 9 is not a graphics card, it's a video capture and editing card. It's got both analog (Composite and S-Video) and digital (IEEE1394) inputs and outputs.
    It is somewhat similar to DC10, DC30, DV500 etc. except it's newer than those boards (and of course it's got better circuitry...).
    I am particularly interested whether Premiere will do analog capture with this card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    The Pinnacle Studio AV/DV 9 is not a graphics card, it's a video capture and editing card
    By hardware acceleration, I meant effects rendering and encoding I kinda pressumed it was an editing card.

Premiere will only capture from it if it sees it as a firewire device. Does windows recognise it as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    By hardware acceleration, I meant effects rendering and encoding
    It's got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Premiere will only capture from it if it sees it as a firewire device. Does windows recognise it as such?
    Yes, it does.

So I guess I'm more puzzled now than I was before stupidly asking myself "How about Premiere?"... Keep showing me the way please.

Blog Entries

Premiere can only see firewire devices. If your card converts an analogue signal to firewire, then Premiere will see it. I've a feeling however that this is all done inside Studio and you will have to use that to capture.

Premiere will not be able to use any of the boards hardware acceleration.

Thanks Marc. Then I guess upgrading to Studio 9 Plus will help me get the most out of this eqpt I have, with multiple timelines, PIP, chromakey and all other features locked in the standard version of Studio. But do you think it's an investment worth in the long term (at least 1 year), considering that Pinnacle was bought by Avid and even though it's not likely, the possibility remains that they discontinue this line of products?

Blog Entries

Us amateurs can be guilty of being a bit snobbish. I say go with Pinnacle.

I didn't say that for some snobbish reason (my PC specs tell how not snob I am ), but because I'm worried about support and future upgrade options.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that any software is wise investment with respect to future upgrades and support. Premiere is a case in point: Premiere 6.x isn't exactly top of their support agenda.

Sure, the upgrades are cheaper, but I don't think Avid will leave pinnacle users in the shade. They bought pinnacle to access, not alienate the market so if they do end the studio line the replacement will probably be an upgrade route.

Nothings certain and if you're a Studio "expert", the "cost" of switching to Premiere could well be higher than the potential cost of any theoretical drop of support.

You could even find that it's a cheap way into a funky new Avid suite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast