Thread: December 2011: Dawlish Airshow.

Blog Entries

Default December 2011: Dawlish Airshow.

Sooo.......

This is the final edit of the Dawlish Airshow vid.

The day was challenging to say the least, weather has horrific, and a general lack of planning worked against us. Having said that, I think Robin, Tim and myself managed to get some half decent content, and the final edit I think does look good.

I'm under no illusions though - as I say, due to that lack of planning and forethought, as director I pretty much failed to get the job shot efficiently. There was no 'brief' from the show organisers as such, and so this resulting video simply serves to give a feel of the day, the press day before it and it's become an overall 'snapshot' video.

See what you think, honest appraisal welcomed, although most of my replies will probably consist of 'well yes, if I'd planned better...' And so on.

EDIT - I nearly forgot - the music soundtrack is the result of a collaboration with one of our lesser known members, Przemek Grzelak, who worked amazing wonders I have to say, to create a piece that really enhanced the visuals. Deep respect to the man, he's a genius.

Additional help from forum members was camera work from Mr. Tim Stannard, and lots of advice and bollockings and camera work from Mr. Robin Lambert. Thanks chaps!

Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-12-2011 at 09:52 AM.

I think the music is good but it's to loud in the mix with the interviews. I think you guys managed to capture the flavour of the day which is I suppose what the intention was so you achieved your goal. I liked the display shots and thought you cut them together well and I liked that you put in information about each of the displays as they happen. Those Blade lads are nutters. Who did the in flight shots on the RAF King Air? I afraid there is a bit of a fail with the out of focus shot at 9:19 but never mind as the rest of the piece is really good.

Well done chaps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think the music is good but it's to loud in the mix with the interviews.
    Hmm. I thought the mix was about spot on, but noted, thanks!
    Those Blade lads are nutters.
    That they are. Just a shame video doesn't do them justice. Sort of thing best seen live.
    Who did the in flight shots on the RAF King Air?
    I lent Leon my Contour HD and they stuck it inside - I actually have the whole display and the classic steep approach back into Exeter too!
    I afraid there is a bit of a fail with the out of focus shot at 9:19.
    Crap and DAMN! Well spotted. Not sure how I missed that one. Grrrr....

i think you did OK considering the obvious difficult circumstances. though the music is fittingly dramatic its way too loud in places (sure i heard some distortion).... i was struggling to concentrate on what the people being interviewed were saying..... thats on my reference studio monitors aswel.

Blog Entries

Ok - might consider a remix methinks...

Blog Entries

I hadn't commented earlier as I hadn't really had time to do it justice. It seems a wjile ago, but the shots of "the hill" brought the aches and pains back into my limbs - a reminder of my foolish desire to be a real man and lug the filght case and tripod up it. (To be fair the farmer had just said to me his 4x4 was slipping and no longer able to climb the hill.

Anyway, I'd say that's a pretty successful edit given the circumstances. I'm staggered you managed to find use for so much of the stuff I shot - and that which you have used is not quite as bad as I'd imagined. I certainly learned loads about trying to shoot planes in flight - the key thing really being to know where they are going to fly - so I guess one needs to be familiar with their routines. I think this is reflected in pretty much all our shots: the static ones are fine and I think some of the "setting the scene" shots of the weather, the waves crashing, the people sheltering, the people on the hill kitted out with bins & telescopic lenses are really good - and you've edited these together very effectively. (I clearly have to apologise for one for two of the long shots towards the beach as it appears i didn't let go of the pan handle - amateurs, eh?).

I'd like to thank the girl who came to my rescue and held my brolly whilst I was filming.

As or the sound - watch what you monitor on. I first watched this though my PC speakers and whilst the music was a little loud, I was surprised by the comments. When i listened agin, through headphones, I really couldn't make out the commentary.

Fantastic music.

Robs debrief was very useful and the whole experience was something I was really pleased to be part of. Given the circumstances (weather, cancellations, inexperienced cameraman), I'm pleasantly surprised with the resultant film. I'd love to do it again (but better!)
    Tim

Have to say this got my attention from the start to finish. Despite the horrific weather conditions the excellent quality filming made it like "Air shows in a storm". what a challenge to take on. Makes you appreciate the work that goes into producing a professional piece like this The cut away shots and fast transitions made it for me. Yes the music was to loud, but a good choice.

Very well Done Tim and the crew.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Very well Done Tim and the crew.
    Much as I'd love to have been responsible, it was Andy's work (with Rob as second cameraman and me stuck up the hill a mile away!)
    Tim