Thread: Newly developed problems on previously reliable edit PC

Default Newly developed problems on previously reliable edit PC

Hi there, I have a problem. I have an edit PC built by REDSUB, I've had it for a number of years, and it has been great. Problem is a few months ago we had major work done on the house which resulted in it being left off and unplugged for over a month. Now since restarting it video playback is choppy, Nero won't burn DVDs (seems to run the read buffer at 100% around the 6% process status mark and just hangs there.

I haven't installed or changed any settings, although I think i did see something about "overclocking failed", when i initially booted up. Could this be it?

Any help greatfully received. A couple of other problems that may or may not be linked, but might give a clue to someone more knowledgeable than I...

Sometimes Nero won't even launch the "Burn image to disc" pop-up when the link is clicked.
    I have a "video not available, a=cannot find 'vids:dvsd'decompressor" when I try to play video using NeroMediaPlayer.
    Video plays okay in Quicktime but the same video is choppy when played in Windows Media Player or any other player installed.

The problem I have is REDSUB no longer make edit PCs so I can't find out what "personal" settings they used when the PC was built.

Just discovered something new, video stored on either of the 2 internal Hard Drives plays okay, it's the external drives that cause the problems.
    But burning from these locations still have the same problems. What could this mean?

Only thing I can think of is the drives have started to get a bit sticky. Something I only recently found out was that you should spin up your external drives on a regular basis as they need this to self lubricate. Well that is what I was told. May be doing a good old defrag on them might free them up a bit.

This may be total bull but can't hurt and is worth a try.

Also if the PC has been off for a while check that your fans are working properly.

Stupid question...but was the computer left in the room where said work was going on uncovered?Dust trashes technology like you would not believe!

SO..... it's only the external drives that give problems?

and basically it sounds like a read/write issue

Run the 'clean up' disks option - de frag them...... (use 'defraggler" - it's better than bundled windows option - and it's freeware)

BUT check the drivers for the external drives haven't been messed with - either by corruption or by an automatic update.

To be safe - simply re-install your firewire or USB drivers.... (download them from the manufacturers website).

Then hit it with a hammer......