Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas CRASH - Please help! - Important project on the line

Default Sony Vegas CRASH - Please help! - Important project on the line

Hi all -- I really hope someone can help!

I have been using Sony Vegas 8 on my Windows 7 PC for the past several weeks. All was going great until the program randomly crashed several hours into a very important project. I've been able to reopen the project file but at some point, the program always crashes again, giving me errors from "Insufficient memory" to "Unable to allocate memory." The problem seems to start with a red box replacing the video thumbnails and "Media Offline" appearing in the place of the audio preview.

I have no idea what to do and am freaking out because there is a very important project on the line. Please help! Many thanks in advance...

From what I gather, you upgraded to Win7 during this important project? I know this isn't helpful, but that, right there, is a lesson learnt.

OK, what could this be? It does sound you've reached the edge of your system's/hardware's resources. Maybe time to audit your specs and consider upgrading. If you're using a second external monitor, try switching off the option. Vefas uses resources to make that an option. If you're using many FXs and tracks, try switching them off.

The bottom line, Vegas is choking on something. The fact that you've used VP8 on a system that was pre-Win7, and working, kinda points towards your system was running true. I have to ask: Why did you switch to W7?

Unless I am mis-reading this Grazie, It does not look like the OP "upgraded" his system...unless I'm missing a step here somewhere!

The problem seems to start with a red box replacing the video thumbnails and "Media Offline" appearing in the place of the audio preview.

Where are the source files stored? Are they on a network drive? USB drive? internal drive?

What do you have your preview RAM set to? If set too high, this can have the effect you're getting if the system RAM isn't man enough for the job.

Edit: How did the link above to e-bay appear? I didn't add it.

Edit: How did the link above to e-bay appear? I didn't add it.
    I think this is how Marc makes a bit of money to help pay for the site.

I don't think OP has given us enough info

- I've had a few crashes when making a 4-hr vid (out of bits) using VS 10 and 32-bit Win7 - but I have max RAM (4G) and plenty of HDD including extra SATA.

When mine does crash there appears to be a "saved Copy" that vegas makes without my attention, although I do "save project" from time to time.....

This doesn't help OP, but it gives a lot of detail, if anyone wanted it.

Thanks so much for your response! Actually, I've been running Windows 7 the whole time. I'm not sure why the issue is showing up now. I have plenty of RAM (4GB) and over 100GB of my hard drive free... Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    From what I gather, you upgraded to Win7 during this important project? I know this isn't helpful, but that, right there, is a lesson learnt.

OK, what could this be? It does sound you've reached the edge of your system's/hardware's resources. Maybe time to audit your specs and consider upgrading. If you're using a second external monitor, try switching off the option. Vefas uses resources to make that an option. If you're using many FXs and tracks, try switching them off.

The bottom line, Vegas is choking on something. The fact that you've used VP8 on a system that was pre-Win7, and working, kinda points towards your system was running true. I have to ask: Why did you switch to W7?

Hi, thanks so much for your response.

Yes, it's true that I've been running Windows 7 the whole time.

The source files are stored on my computer's hard drive (500GB capacity), which is the same drive I'm running Vegas from. This is why it's so baffling that they would be listed as "offline"! I can easily find them if I search the hard drive...

Thanks for responding!

I'm not sure what you mean by "preview RAM," but my computer has 4GB of RAM. Can you explain?

Thanks for your reply!

I'd be happy to provide more info. You name it.

Like you, I have 4GB of RAM. Also like your case, Vegas also automatically generates a backup copy of my project file, too.

Y'know, I could almost understand if the program were to crash with me trying to make a 4-hour video. Thing is, my video is only 5 minutes long! Even with lots of little snippets (many video source files and tracks), I can't understand why such a short video would be such a big problem for this program!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast