Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Capturing PS2 progressive scan output to DV

  1. #1

    Default Capturing PS2 progressive scan output to DV

    I want to capture the Playstation 2 progressive scan output to DV using the component outputs.

    What kind of capture card/device do I need?

    Will something like the ADS Pyro AV Link Professional be up to the job?

    It has component inputs.

    Or do I need something like the Pinnacle Liquid Pro?

    Whenever I read the spec sheets, they are never that clear if they will capture an NTSC progressive scan signal.

    To me this is within the Standard Definition spec, but I'd like to be sure before I purchase the hardware.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,514
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Welcome to the forums nick!

    I'm probably just in the dark as you here, but given that SD cams such as the XL2 record in 24p (I take it with 480 lines you're a NTSC bod!), you'd pressume it's covered!

    I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem as firewire would easily be able to cope with the extra bandwidth of progressive.

    I have a PAL XL2 capable of 25p and a canopus ADVC100. I can connect the XL2 to the ADVC 100 via component and see what resulrs I get if you like.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Welcome to the forums nick!

    I'm probably just in the dark as you here, but given that SD cams such as the XL2 record in 24p (I take it with 480 lines you're a NTSC bod!), you'd pressume it's covered!

    I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem as firewire would easily be able to cope with the extra bandwidth of progressive.

    I have a PAL XL2 capable of 25p and a canopus ADVC100. I can connect the XL2 to the ADVC 100 via component and see what resulrs I get if you like.
    Thanks for the welcome.

    I have done some further reading and I'm pretty sure that both the devices I mention take a 480p signal.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laslett
    I have done some further reading and I'm pretty sure that both the devices I mention take a 480p signal.
    I might be wrong here, but from what I know, when discussing progressive/interlaced features, p refers to progressive and i to interlaced signal, and the preceding number is the number of frames per second, usually 24, 25 or 30 (in both cases). So 480p... I don't think so.
    What you mean is probably the resolution (typically 720x576 in PAL and 720x480 in NTSC) and the progressive/interlaced feature of the signal.
    Professionals, please help.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laslett
    I have done some further reading and I'm pretty sure that both the devices I mention take a 480p signal.
    I might be wrong here, but from what I know, when discussing progressive/interlaced features, p refers to progressive and I to interlaced signal, and the preceding number is the number of frames per second, usually 24, 25 or 30 (in both cases). So 480p... I don't think so.
    What you mean is probably the resolution (typically 720x576 in PAL and 720x480 in NTSC) and the progressive/interlaced feature of the signal.
    Professionals, please help.
    I want to capture the video output from various game consoles.

    To be honest, I'm not sure how to describe it. The PS2 progressive scan component output is running in NTSC @ 60hz, with a variable framerate depending on the game (some fluctuate) and a lot of games have a verticle resolution of 440 lines and use the overscanning on TVs to hide the fact.

    I understand what you mean by 24p and 25p. I'm coming from the home cinema world, where we talk about 480p, 575p and 720p, because these are the verticle resolutions of DVD and display devices. (Nobody talks horizontal resolutions becuase of all the different aspect ratios.)

    I would like to be able to capture the original resolution as it comes out of the console. I think ADS Pyro A/V link is up to the job. I have found out it captures 25p, which is a start.

    I will edit my post. Thanks for the input.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    766

    Default

    you're both right, yeah.

    means different things in different situations.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

  7. #7

    Default

    Well, first attempt has failed.

    The ADS Pyro AV Link Professional does not recognise either the 60hz or progressive scan outputs from my PS2.

    Any ideas about which capture device to try next?

Similar Threads

  1. RjTech Region Free Progressive Scan DivX Xvid Mpeg4 DVD plr
    By S_K_U_N_X in forum Blu Ray, DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 07:15 AM
  2. Clear Scan on Z1?
    By vegasarian in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2006, 08:20 PM
  3. why does progressive scan look blurry
    By robiferretti in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 04:22 PM
  4. Scan - today only - RTX.100 package
    By Mike Thorpe in forum Pimp the Link
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
  5. Pan and Scan/PIP
    By dberryman in forum Pinnacle Studio, Edition including Avid Xpress and Liquid
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •