Thread: Capturing PS2 progressive scan output to DV

Default Capturing PS2 progressive scan output to DV

I want to capture the Playstation 2 progressive scan output to DV using the component outputs.

What kind of capture card/device do I need?

Will something like the ADS Pyro AV Link Professional be up to the job?

It has component inputs.

Or do I need something like the Pinnacle Liquid Pro?

Whenever I read the spec sheets, they are never that clear if they will capture an NTSC progressive scan signal.

To me this is within the Standard Definition spec, but I'd like to be sure before I purchase the hardware.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums nick!

I'm probably just in the dark as you here, but given that SD cams such as the XL2 record in 24p (I take it with 480 lines you're a NTSC bod!), you'd pressume it's covered!

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem as firewire would easily be able to cope with the extra bandwidth of progressive.

I have a PAL XL2 capable of 25p and a canopus ADVC100. I can connect the XL2 to the ADVC 100 via component and see what resulrs I get if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Welcome to the forums nick!

I'm probably just in the dark as you here, but given that SD cams such as the XL2 record in 24p (I take it with 480 lines you're a NTSC bod!), you'd pressume it's covered!

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem as firewire would easily be able to cope with the extra bandwidth of progressive.

I have a PAL XL2 capable of 25p and a canopus ADVC100. I can connect the XL2 to the ADVC 100 via component and see what resulrs I get if you like.
    Thanks for the welcome.

I have done some further reading and I'm pretty sure that both the devices I mention take a 480p signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laslett
    I have done some further reading and I'm pretty sure that both the devices I mention take a 480p signal.
    I might be wrong here, but from what I know, when discussing progressive/interlaced features, p refers to progressive and i to interlaced signal, and the preceding number is the number of frames per second, usually 24, 25 or 30 (in both cases). So 480p... I don't think so.
    What you mean is probably the resolution (typically 720x576 in PAL and 720x480 in NTSC) and the progressive/interlaced feature of the signal.
    Professionals, please help.

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Laslett
    I might be wrong here, but from what I know, when discussing progressive/interlaced features, p refers to progressive and I to interlaced signal, and the preceding number is the number of frames per second, usually 24, 25 or 30 (in both cases). So 480p... I don't think so.
    What you mean is probably the resolution (typically 720x576 in PAL and 720x480 in NTSC) and the progressive/interlaced feature of the signal.
    Professionals, please help.
    I want to capture the video output from various game consoles.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to describe it. The PS2 progressive scan component output is running in NTSC @ 60hz, with a variable framerate depending on the game (some fluctuate) and a lot of games have a verticle resolution of 440 lines and use the overscanning on TVs to hide the fact.

I understand what you mean by 24p and 25p. I'm coming from the home cinema world, where we talk about 480p, 575p and 720p, because these are the verticle resolutions of DVD and display devices. (Nobody talks horizontal resolutions becuase of all the different aspect ratios.)

I would like to be able to capture the original resolution as it comes out of the console. I think ADS Pyro A/V link is up to the job. I have found out it captures 25p, which is a start.

I will edit my post. Thanks for the input.

you're both right, yeah.

means different things in different situations.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Well, first attempt has failed.

The ADS Pyro AV Link Professional does not recognise either the 60hz or progressive scan outputs from my PS2.

Any ideas about which capture device to try next?