Thread: TV Pilot Competition for UK Producers - Win Development Deals, Show Your Work to USA

Default TV Pilot Competition for UK Producers - Win Development Deals, Show Your Work to USA

NEW YORK TELEVISION FESTIVAL - U.K. INDEPENDENT PILOT COMPETITION

The New York Television Festival (NYTVF) is calling for original, independently produced television pilots from UK-producers and production companies for the UK Section of their Independent Pilot Competition. The NYTVF has partnered with Warner Bros. International Television Production and Fox Television Studios, in conjunction with Apostle, to offer two development opportunities exclusively to U.K. producers.

In addition to the awards being offered, selected producers will be invited to participate as Official Artists in the 2012 New York Television Festival in NYC next fall, where they will have the opportunity to network, meet and collaborate with over forty U.S.-based television networks, studios, agencies and fellow TV creators.

Specific details for the two sponsored initiatives are below. For more information, please visit http://www.nytvf.com/2012_ipc_london.htm

NON-SCRIPTED INITIATIVE

The New York Television Festival and Warner Bros. International Television Production have teamed up to offer a development opportunity exclusively to U.K. indie producers through the 2012 NYTVF Independent Pilot Competition (U.K. Section). Submit a non-scripted pilot presentation for the chance to win $5000 and a development opportunity from Warner Bros. International Television Production.

WHAT TO SUBMIT:
    Program type: Non-scripted formats
    Runtime: 4-22 minutes in length
    Details: Please read the creative brief provided by Warner Bros. International Production to see exactly what non-scripted pilot concepts they are looking for: http://www.nytvf.com/2012_ipc_london.htm

AWARDS:
    Warner Bros. International Television Production will award one winner $5,000 and can contribute up to $20,000 to the further development of the winning submission.

DEADLINE:
    January 27, 2012…….......….……$30 Early Submission Deadline
    March 9, 2012…………........…....$50 Final Submission Deadline

TO SUBMIT:
    Visit http://www.nytvf.com/2012_ipc_london.htm to read WBIP's creative brief, find submission details and download an entry packet.

SCRIPTED INITIATIVE

The NYTVF and Fox Television Studios, in conjunction with Apostle, have teamed up to offer a development opportunity exclusively to U.K. indie producers through the 2012 NYTVF Independent Pilot Competition (U.K. Section). Submit a scripted pilot presentation for the chance to win $5000 and a development opportunity from Fox Television Studios.

WHAT TO SUBMIT:
    Program type: Scripted comedy or drama
    Runtime: 4-22 minutes in length
    Details: Please read the creative brief provided by Fox Television Studios and Apostle to see exactly what scripted pilot concepts they are looking for: http://www.nytvf.com/2012_ipc_london.htm

AWARDS:
    Fox Television Studios will award one winner $5,000.

DEADLINE:
    February 24, 2012……......………$30 Early Submission Deadline
    April 6, 2012…………...........…....$50 Final Submission Deadline

TO SUBMIT:
    Visit http://www.nytvf.com/2012_ipc_london.htm to read FtvS and Apostle's creative brief, find submission details and download an entry packet.

About the New York Television Festival:
    The New York Television Festival was founded in 2005 as the industry’s first creative festival for television artists. The NYTVF works in partnership with networks, studios, brands and agencies to more effectively and efficiently deliver the best projects and showcase the most promising artists.
    In September 2011 The NYTVF celebrated its 7th annual Festival, in which nine industry partners presented thirteen guaranteed deals to U.S.-based creators and nearly forty networks, studios, agencies and production companies met with over 200 artists to begin relationships that could yield many more deals to come.
    Held in New York City each fall, the NYTVF hosts events ranging from red-carpet premieres (NYTVF Primetime), focused discussions on digital development and distribution (NYTVF Digital Day), fan panels (NYTVF Development Day) and screenings of the best in independent content (Independent Pilot Screenings).
    For additional information, visit www.NYTVF.com

Excuse my ignorance, but reading your post (Thanks), and NY link (thanks again), it appears there are two acce[ptable submissions:
    1)Scripted and 2)unscripted.

I thought 1) would be for Writers and they'd be able to supply a "pilot" with maybe a short DVD using whatever actors were available. Indeed as I read yr post you suggest Running times of the submission.

Further, I expected 2) to be for "ideas" maybe just a written "story-line" - since it is "unscripted" - so I don't understand why the Organisers want a DVD of 4-22 minutes . . . . are the pdf's wrong . . . or am I not understanding the Industry Norms for submitting Ideas - I would expect those with experience can increase their "hit-rate" by staging the script, if only to make sure all the Judges get the plot.

However any submission is expensive in time and potentially good ideas may never make it, if a small film-crew is needed just to give it a chance.

I read their .pdf and I thought I saw the requirement to pay a fee, but reading the Rules doesn't appear to cover this....Is this a recognised "Fee" or do I have to download/read more "Rules"?
    This looks interesting.

Thanks so much for your interest in the competition! I apologize for any confusion with the submission rules - I'll try my best to clarify.

Both of these initiatives (scripted and unscripted) require fully-produced pilots on DVD with a runtime of 4-22 minutes.
    "Scripted" refers to narrative programs (dramas, sitcoms), and "unscripted" refers to format-shows (game shows, competition shows).
    A submission fee is required, yet the price varies depending on when you submit (early deadline fees are less than final deadline).

Again, sorry about the confusion - I'm happy to answer any other questions. Feel free to contact us by email at ask@nytvf.com as well.

That's a shame as I don't see me being able to create a DVD (rather the "content") but have a good story-line that runs about 20min, although any production Co would be able to stretch this. It is entirely a "storytelling" - the sort of thing that TV audiences haven't had for many years . . . that could be a snag, or demonstrate a "new" genre. ..

BTW I got the impression that UK-quiz-shows are scripted, as there is reference to scrips in the credits - including Radio quizzes . . . rather makes one think our clever presenters are not quite as clever as they present themselves.

[Sorry about the original mistake, I was expecting the words to mean what they said..... but I was a tad confused by the requirement for DVD's - all clear now, thanks.]
    Last edited by vidmanners; 12-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    BTW I got the impression that UK-quiz-shows are scripted, as there is reference to scrips in the credits - including Radio quizzes . . . rather makes one think our clever presenters are not quite as clever as they present themselves.
    Not quite. Usually the questinmaster/hosts part is scripted, the panel/guests aren't - exactly.
    They do meet before though and run through the show, what's going to be asked etc and make notes. So the guests are not necessarily quite as quick off the mark as they appear to be. It also helps that they have an idea what each other are going to say so they can feed off it. he "flow" therefore is "scripted" but the lines aren't (although they may be prepared - if that makes sense)
    Tim

ooh new genre?! I want to hear more!