Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Needs Advice

Default Newbie Needs Advice

Hello there, I'm about to enter the realm of digital video this weekend when I buy a Canon Elura 90 and Premiere Elements. This forum is a wealth of information, but I'm confused by some terminology. I'm sure I've read the answer to my question somewhere here but probably didn't understand it. Maybe someone could be gentle and explain in newbie terms.

Here's what I plan on doing: record video (nothing fancy, family stuff you know) and simply burn raw video to DVD until I have a chance to edit. Can I do this? In other words, can I burn raw video to DVD, and then later capture the video from the DVD and bring it into Premiere Elements for editing? I think from what I'm reading in this forum that I can, but I have to convert the DVD video to some other format (DV format?) to do so, then burn back the edited version to another DVD? Will Premiere Elements allow me to do that? Disc space will be an issue, that's why I'd like to archive the raw video first on DVD and then come back to the DVD for editing later.

Sorry if I sound so ridicuously moronic, but I'm just learning. Set me straight someone.

Thanks!

I am also a newbie to the video editing world and this forum is great. Best advice is to spend a while reading a lot of the posts, because most newbie questions have been asked and answered very well by the members.

Also read the manuals and searth the web for tutorials. You need to experiment and find what is best for your hardware and software setup. What is best for one person is not the best for others.

Once you have spent a bit of time researching and eperimenting and you are still stuck or confused then it is probably time to ask a question.

This forum is full of members with a weath of knowledge and are willing to share it, but I find you get more help if you are willing to help yourself.

ZeD

Blog Entries

Here's what I plan on doing: record video (nothing fancy, family stuff you know) and simply burn raw video to DVD until I have a chance to edit. Can I do this? In other words, can I burn raw video to DVD, and then later capture the video from the DVD and bring it into Premiere Elements for editing?
    Why not simply leave the video on the DV tape until you want to edit? This is probably the most cost effective and sure fire way of maintaining quality.

Zed and Marc, sorry it took so long to say thank you for your answers. It was a long weekend. I appreciate your answers. Zed, I usually do try and read through sites before asking questions, but I wanted to make purchases over the weekend and needed answers quickly. Marc makes sense - I just need to have enough tapes available, so I bought three to begin with.

I made the plunge over the weekend and will start filming soon. Now I just need to decide on editing software. I'm leaning towards Premier Elements. You have a great site here, hope you don't mind an American lurking in the shadows.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries

No problem! Feel free to come out of the shadows though.

Hi!

Personally, I wouldn't bother burning the video onto DVDs first - like Marx says, you really will lose a lot of quality. I know tapes are more expensive, but you get more for your money!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    like Marx says
    I hope that was a typo.

Hahahaha it was.. I wasn't implying anything!!

Karl or Groucho? You'll never know ;-)

Mike - yes, now that I've had a chance to read up on video editing it certainly makes more sense to just leave it on tape until I have time to edit it. I seem to be getting bit by this hobby already and I haven't even recorded anything yet. Can't wait to get out and tape something!

Thanks everyone!

if you export the raw video to dvd it will take about 3 dvd-5's or 1 dvd9 and a dvd5, then you can simple copy it back to hard drive to edit, and it will be perfect raw video.
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast