Thread: To all MacBook Pro/iMac users! (or to anyone familiar)

Default To all MacBook Pro/iMac users! (or to anyone familiar)

Hi guys im new to editing and im basically asking for a few hints and tips.

I am mainly going to be editing/creating Video Game montages/episodes/videos but hey im only asking the steps to take to produce an edit, now how to edit it.

I have the following programs:
    Final Cut Pro x
    Adobe After Effects CS5
    Cinema4D R13
    Boujou
    PhotoShop CS5

before i would do my editing in Sony Vegas Pro 10 but since ive moved onto mac im not aware of the steps i take to create a video because you cant do much in FCP on effects side.. and as im not too familiar with FCP im wodering if there is a program similar to Sony Vegas for the mac?

The steps i have been told to take though im not sure if are correct are:
    Render my clips out in 59.94
    Import them to After Effects for effects and Colour Corrections
    Import back into FCP to piece together the montage/video

However i am confused, because how would i go about Syncing my shots with the beat of a music track, i thought that was done by slowing, speeding up and pausing clips to make it fit with the music?

Any help is much appreciated, i know you guys are probably looking at my post count and thinking im a leecher but im not, im here to stay i just would love to get better at video editing, please someone help me

Wizz

hi mate,
    FCP is a pretty powerful tool, that does a fantastic job with color grading so importing it, exporting it to color grade then importing it after is a big waste of time. (in my opinion).
    You can edit it and color grade it all in FCP.
    If you are recording at 60fps then it is wise to work in 59.94fps (60fps), but if you are only recording in 30fps then i would recommend just rendering in that too.
    How i would go about matching the beat with the video (and I'm sure there will be many ways to do this) is to import all my clips i will be using ruffly cut into the timeline. Then add my music track in the time line too. In FCP you will see the music track anchor itself to the video line so it always stays in sync if you move video clips around. All you need to do now is zoom in a little so you can see the sound wave and adjust your video changes and transitions accordingly.

Hope that helps!

Yes other tools are a lot more powerful for colour work, But if the job is "simple" and only requires a bit of extra brightness here or there, Your editor should do it just fine!

FCP was not made to integrate nicely with Adobe products...They fight each other like crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Motion Cut View Post
    hi mate,
    FCP is a pretty powerful tool, that does a fantastic job with color grading so importing it, exporting it to color grade then importing it after is a big waste of time. (in my opinion).
    You can edit it and color grade it all in FCP.
    If you are recording at 60fps then it is wise to work in 59.94fps (60fps), but if you are only recording in 30fps then i would recommend just rendering in that too.
    How i would go about matching the beat with the video (and I'm sure there will be many ways to do this) is to import all my clips i will be using ruffly cut into the timeline. Then add my music track in the time line too. In FCP you will see the music track anchor itself to the video line so it always stays in sync if you move video clips around. All you need to do now is zoom in a little so you can see the sound wave and adjust your video changes and transitions accordingly.

Hope that helps!
    thank you for your reply, i had a rough idea on how i was going to sync the music with the beat and my idea involved your idea too. yes i do record in 60fps and i work with 59.94, i guess you could say im aware of the basics but i just dnt know how to create a full montage because before i would just put my clips together use vegas slow mo and colour correct them but as i want to get better at editing i have moved onto mac as i believe editing on a mac will be more fun and a more powerful computer then my old dekstop

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Yes other tools are a lot more powerful for colour work, But if the job is "simple" and only requires a bit of extra brightness here or there, Your editor should do it just fine!

FCP was not made to integrate nicely with Adobe products...They fight each other like crazy!
    would i be able to create a full montage/video using after effects only and do it easily and efficiently?