Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing editing!! Effects and works that are done to it?

Default Amazing editing!! Effects and works that are done to it?

I'm new to video editing and this video is an inspiration for me. This video is probably way too advance for a noob but I like to learn from the hardest piece of work to keep me motivated. I have tried to correct some original footages that I've taken with my T2i but I can't get it that vivid looking. A few stuff that are obviously done in this video are

1. Color Correction
    2. Contrast
    3. Desatuate
    4. Vignette

That's all I've gotten so far...so if you notice any other things please feel free to add to my list so I can look into it.

The one thing I can't figure out in this video is how they make their hair/suit totally BLACK. In some footage their hair looked like it was COLOR FILLED BLACK. How is this done?? I have tried turning the CONTRAST really low but that just makes everything in the screen black. Is there a plug in that is recommended for this kinda task??
    Last edited by mikster; 12-04-2011 at 04:26 AM.

The one thing I can't figure out in this video is how they make their hair/suit totally BLACK. In some footage their hair looked like it was COLOR FILLED BLACK. How is this done?? I have tried turning the CONTRAST really low but that just makes everything in the screen black. Is there a plug in that is recommended for this kinda task??
    Magic Bullet is a popular plug in to get this kind of look.

It's funny but when I'm shooting I always try and keep the details in the blacks but I understand this is a popular look. Try changing the gamma levels and see what that does to your image. It might help get the look you're aiming at.

Yep....I'm actually using AFter Effects with Colorista Magic Bullet trial...its a wonderful software I am thinking of purchasing it. The footage in that video look so clear..I was wondering if that ran it through a DENOISER before the final finish. Is it typical to run a video through a denoiser nowadays?? If so, which one would you recommend??

Well I've never done it, I don't know if others do. I think your getting in the realms of the quality of the camera and the skill of the camera user to get the best of of it. This is often a missed step with some people.

Ok so after having played around with alot of tweets and fx I finally figured out how to make the blackness in the dark spots totally black without affecting much of the surrounding areas. It can easily been down with curve crushing at the very buttom of the line. My next question is how do you edit the color of the sky from blue to yellowish?? What's a good tool to make that happen?

In Sony Vegas ther is a tool called secondary colour correction. This tool helps you affect one colour but leave the others. OR you could try putting a piece of semi transparent media over it like using a grad-filter on a lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    In Sony Vegas ther is a tool called secondary colour correction. This tool helps you affect one colour but leave the others. OR you could try putting a piece of semi transparent media over it like using a grad-filter on a lens.
    I just tried out the Grad Filter lens but i can't get it to affect only the sky. If you look at the first scene in the video at 27 seconds..tha's the effect i'm trying to get. Also i notice that the footage is leaning in a angle making it look tall. What kinda filter or fx can i use to make that?? Is that done with fx or was it a special lens they were using?

Place a piece of colour gradient media above the track where you want the affect. You will have to play around with the colour and the transparency levels to get it to look right.

In the example at 27 seconds it looks like they have put a yellowish colour over the whole clip. The sky was over cast grey/white so the colour cast doesn't have to be to strong.
    Look at the colour of the white window frames they are the same colour as the sky.

If you are trying to do this with a very blue sky use the secondary colour corrector to just change the sky blue colour, this can be tricky to do but will work with practice.

One thing about the filmmaking technique, when he moves the camera in the same angle and hight and it rolls to the side, what equipment does he use? Tripod with wheels?

He is using a glidecam/slider for the shot at the begining and may even be using a stedy cam for some shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast