Thread: One Shot Music Video

1. Default One Shot Music Video

Here is another 1 shot live performance music video I was a part of.

Robert Brown - Oh My Head

Opinions and some "likes" would be great, thanks.

For a video with one shot it takes a good song and performance to pull it off. I think you pulled it off. Good idea to have the B&W.

Blog Entries

Nice song. Photogenic subject.
    I just found myself feeling a bit awkward with the framing. The subject's eyes - the main focus of concentration are too high in the frame.
    I can understand you'd want to get the guitar in, so rather than simply raise the angle fo the camera, you'd probably need to zoom out somewhat. That in itself causes a problem as the subject then becomes rather small. Tricky. But I guess that's why most people would use omore than one angle/shot!
    Tim

Sorry Tim I have to disagree on the framing. It looks right to me. I don't think the horizontal thirds doesn't always have to be on the eyes although that is usually what you do. Take another look at the video and notice what happens when he starts singing. Well with me, I look at the mouth. I think that is right in this circumstance, as he isn't look at the camera. Well not until the end of the song when he grabs you with that look.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Sorry Tim I have to disagree on the framing
    There'd be little point in the forum if we didn't disagree from time to time (or more often ). This case is unusual as normally you're "hotter" on the framing issue than I am. I do disagree with you here.

My feeling of "awkwardness" didn't come from looking for the rule of thirds, but because I felt I was looking upwards, craning my necka a bit. It was only when I felt this that I started analysing why. And I must stress this was only a minor feeling, but it was there nonetheless.

I agree with you that the focal point isn't necessarily the eye, so the eyes don't have to appear in the textbook position - it could be something else, but to my mind, the eyes, being the "window to the soul" are particularly important when someone singing.

On a different note, I didn't mention the positioning of the subject in relation to the wall and the use of lighting to throw an interesting shadow - very good.
    Tim

Blog Entries

From a video point of view (and this is a videomaking forum) it's quite boring. Have a look without sound and you'll see what I mean.

The framing is okay(ish) in my opinion, I don't agree with Tim about the headroom but I don't agree with Midnight either! The guitar and the microphone are far too dominant. The guitar keeps reflecting the light (annoying) and thus pulling the eye away from the singer. The messy shadow of the microphone is distracting and the microphone itself is far too dominant.

Great song, boring visuals.

I'm not sure on your statement that I'm "Hotter" on framing than you. So we'll have to agree to differ on that one.

I agree the eyes are the "window of the soul" and usually would frame for that so I would have probably put the camera at eye level, like you suggest but looking up a little felt normal to me. It was a bit like looking up at a performer on stage, which gave it a live performance look, as that is what it was. It could have been set at a few different angles, I think I would have gone for a more face on shot rather than this more profile shot and moved him away from the wall to lessen the shadow BUT I think it's really a mute point as, the image is pleasing to the eye (well it is for me) so even if some rules have been broken it still works for me.

I love the way Rob comes along and shows we are both wrong.

Blog Entries

Or it could be that Midnight and Tim have shown how wrong I am.

As I repeat ad nauseam "There are no laws in composition, there are only opinions." It's only my opinion and it's no more valid than anyone else's.

In my 'pinion you should have made more of the singer's good looks and less of a fuss over the guitar and microphone.

Ha Ha Opinions are great when they are not being used as a weapon.