Thread: BetaSP to MiniDV to Premiere Pro (resolution mismatch?)

Default BetaSP to MiniDV to Premiere Pro (resolution mismatch?)

Videographer dubbed my BetaSP tape to MiniDV. Then I captured MiniDV tape footage to Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 (via Firewire). Within Premiere I observe a vertical black area on left edge of every frame (and to a lesser extent on the right edge and at the bottom of every frame).

I'm assuming this a resolution mismatch issue?

I captured in Premiere at standard DV 720x480. (w/ 0.9 pixel aspect ratio)

Should I capture at higher res (720x480) and downsample? Or should I resize within Premiere. Would either process degrade the captured video quality to a significant degree? How would I go about doing either?

I see that I can "crop" in Premiere, but after trimming rows of pixels on edges the video auto resizes to "original" dimension. Will this decrease the quality of the video significantly.

Goal is to edit this video in with some other video within Premiere (other video was shot in DV, cloned to MiniDV and then captured to Premiere. ...I don't see any black areas around this captured video. Only in the video converted from Beta SP).

Then plan is to output final master to DVD format (NTSC 4:3).

Thanks for any ideas.

Woody

Blog Entries

You can use the intrepet footage option to change the aspect ratio and fill the screen. Right click on the file name in your project windows, chose interpret footage and select the correct aspect ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    You can use the intrepet footage option to change the aspect ratio and fill the screen. Right click on the file name in your project windows, chose interpret footage and select the correct aspect ratio.
    Hi Mark-

I'm not sure why I would want to change the aspect ratio from current setting? When I do the video looks pixelated in Premiere. I'm sure the aspect ratio was set correctly at capture time (0.9).

I've been told the black on the edges of the screen and is related to overscan but it will not display on a TV display.

However I'd like to rid of the black so the video looks good in Premeire on PC monitor and will match the other DV footage that I have captured and plan to edit together.

I learned I can easily crop the video in Premiere (will trim pixels from edges and then remaining video will automatically resize to fill the frame).

Wondering if cropping and the auto rezing will decrease the image "quality" of the video? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Woody

Blog Entries

By interpreting, you're conforming the aspect ratio to the same as the project. In the extreme, you can import 4:3 into a 16:9 project and conform this to 16:9. If you don't, then you'll end up with black bars on either side; if you conform it, then you'll stretch the image to fill the whole screen. You won't lose res per se as you're not cropping and expanding.

If you have a project with black bars on either side, then your project aspect ratio doesn't match your imported video.

Apologies as I didn't read your post fully and the fact that you don't have a uniform amount of space suggests it'ss more than likely that your video will play back fine on a TV due to overscan, but you'll still get the black bars on a PC monitor (just as you get black bars at the top and bottom playing 4:3 PAL or NTSC). You can:

a) live with it
    b) crop and expand maintaining the pixel aspect ratio
    c) stretch to fit adjusting the pixel aspect ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    By interpreting, you're conforming the aspect ratio to the same as the project. In the extreme, you can import 4:3 into a 16:9 project and conform this to 16:9. If you don't, then you'll end up with black bars on either side; if you conform it, then you'll stretch the image to fill the whole screen. You won't lose res per se as you're not cropping and expanding.

If you have a project with black bars on either side, then your project aspect ratio doesn't match your imported video.

Apologies as I didn't read your post fully and the fact that you don't have a uniform amount of space suggests it'ss more than likely that your video will play back fine on a TV due to overscan, but you'll still get the black bars on a PC monitor (just as you get black bars at the top and bottom playing 4:3 PAL or NTSC). You can:

a) live with it
    b) crop and expand maintaining the pixel aspect ratio
    c) stretch to fit adjusting the pixel aspect ratio
    Marc--

Thanks for the advice.

The aspect ratio was already correct. no need to confirm. BetaSP footage was orginally shot at 4:3 NTSC and remained so throughout capture process (BetaSP to MiniDV dub, then from MiniDV to Premiere Pro via Firewire).

The DVD will be 4:3 NTSC (not 16:9).

Now I'm beginning to understand. The capture of the analog BetaSP footage is displaying at original correct width (704 pixels) and the black edges of the DV capture appearing in Premiere is the overscan filling in extra pixels in DV's 720 pixel width.

Yes the video image falls in with the safe area and understand the area won't render on standard TV. And just finally tested and found the video indeed displays just fine on TV monitor.

The black areas on the edges of the video are unsymmetrical so that is why it bothers me when viewing in Premiere on the PC. (The black area on left edge is about 5% pixel width with lesser amount on the right edge and at bottom. No black area at top edge).

Placing a Photoshop mask around the edge in Premeire has just been recommended as a good solution, for when viewing in Premiere.

Cropping the video was not recommended by others as the remaining frame will auto resize to the 720 pixel width and thus reduce quality of image.

Thanks for your advice.

Woody

Just so you know 704pixels and 720pixels are both correct widths, they have different pixel aspect ratios through. even though they're bot 4:3, t he actual size of the pixels are different.

It seems that whoever transcoded you video from beta sp to mini dv has done it wrong. you can crop the black bars off and "stretch" the video to fill the whole frame. your not actually sretching it though, your correcting it
    Last edited by smifis; 02-18-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Blog Entries

One of my old cameras showed very thin vertical bars at each side of the image when fully zoomed out - is it that maybe?

If so then as mentioned above just crop it out or forget about it as it wont be visible on a underscanned tv screen.