Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create Movie Issue...

Default Create Movie Issue...

Please can someone help... Forgive my lack of knowledge but I've just edited together my first movie in Pinnacle Studio 9 which was great fun. When I clicked the 'Make Movie' tab, everything seems to have ground to a halt. I guessed that it was rendering (or something) but the egg timer has been on screen for well over an hour now. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing. Should I walk away or is it actually doing something?!

Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks.
    PC Spec: Sony Vaio PCG-FRV37 P.4 2.8Ghz; 512Mb SDRAM; 1x20Gb and 1x40Gb Hard Drive; 1 x160Gb External Hard Drive (USB2) for editing; Radeon Graphics; Windows XP Home SP2; Internal Matsushita UJ-10??? DVD-RW

Gringo5K:

How long is your final show turning out to be?

Depending on the length of show along with your specs on your computer will sometimes determine the time it takes to render. Be patient and walk away is what I do making sure nothing else is running at that time including any screensavers etc...

I am by no means an expert but you mentioned that you hit ctrl,alt,del you may want to stop and start over on the rendering as I am not sure if the program will continue on without problems. I hope and pray you saved your work before rendering???

Let us know.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Hi Scooter,

Thanks for coming back so quickly. Final movie will be 75 mins in length. I've added quite a few titles and soundtracks so I don't know if all this slows the process up? To be honest I'm not even sure I'm at the rendering stage - I merely clicked the tab to go to 'Make Movie' and that's where it's stuck! I've no flickering lights to indicate that the CPU is performing any operations and no other programs are open.

Thankfully I have saved the project!

Cheers.

Gringo
    PC Spec: Sony Vaio PCG-FRV37 P.4 2.8Ghz; 512Mb SDRAM; 1x20Gb and 1x40Gb Hard Drive; 1 x160Gb External Hard Drive (USB2) for editing; Radeon Graphics; Windows XP Home SP2; Internal Matsushita UJ-10??? DVD-RW

What are your PC specs?

Hi there,

Erm, hopefully I've listed all my specs within the signature of my post??? That's about the limit of my IT awareness and I'm not sure I'd be able to give any more detailed information!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo5K
    Hi there,

Erm, hopefully I've listed all my specs within the signature of my post??? That's about the limit of my IT awareness and I'm not sure I'd be able to give any more detailed information!

Cheers.
    Sorry, I don't usually look at people's signatures, avatars and stuff and look what happens...
    Here's my 2 cents: I've noticed that you use an external (USB 2.0) drive for editing. I suggest you try to render on one of the internal drives (the 40 gigs one, if it's 7200 rpm and has got enough free space) and if it works out fine, then your USB 2.0 hdd is causing the hassle (still, you can try connecting it to another USB port).

Good catch SVHS I did not even notice that fact in her sig. I have heard of this problem as well on this very forum so what you are saying makes perfect sense. I would possibly use that drive as a back up only and not your primary editing drive although as mentioned 40 gig may not be enough space for a 75 min show.

Gringo5K. When and if you do get to the rendering stage which you may never have gotten to in the first place, it will take some time. Do it over the course of an evening and sleep. When you wake up all should be done for you I hope.

Wish you well.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    Do it over the course of an evening and sleep. When you wake up all should be done for you I hope.
    The technical term for this is the "render fairy". It helps if you leave a sweet for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    I would possibly use that drive as a back up only and not your primary editing drive although as mentioned 40 gig may not be enough space for a 75 min show.
    With just 40 gigs I wouldn't even think of making that the primary video drive, but it might just work, one time only. 75 mins of MPEG-2 will certainly squeeze in there; let's see what the man does.
    See you around!

Thanks gentleman, you're views and knowledge are very much appreciated to a novice like me! The only downside is clearing enough space from an already 60% full 40Gb drive - I had hoped the 160Gb external hdd would get around this problem.

However, I've just tried the exact same approach with a 4min movie file which is already on my 40Gb internal drive to see what happened... No joy - it hung again when I clicked the 'Make Movie' tab. Perhaps I've got a virus? :cry:

Will re-installing the software help? And will I lose the 'edit' file?

Thanks very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast