Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your criticism please - MediaCity Sculpture

Default Your criticism please - MediaCity Sculpture

'Ello all.

This is a news video I shot this week in Salford about a new pop-up sculpture called Aeolus.

Looking for criticism on camera work/editing. Tried a little bit of grading with this one for the first time, would
    appreciate your views.

Last edited by salfordonline; 12-01-2011 at 02:08 AM.

I think it's very good salfordonline.I would probably have taken a different approach on it but theres no way to say whether it would be any better or worse. The one criticism I have would be on the one video transition. It's 99% straight cuts from shot to shot but there is 1 dissolve in there. I find consistency gives a better finished product. There could be some cleanup with the audio as well. But overall, its quite good.

But what do I know. I'm just some guy.

Dude - any criticism is good and I appreciate you taking the time. I take your point about the one dissolve. And I agree the audio needs work. Wireless mics are apparently the way forward.

Incidentally, what would you have done differently?

Blog Entries

I like it - and the sculpture too - the only thing that leaps out at me is the lack of tripod - virtually every shot outdoors has shake - and that for me is offputting. Other than that, nice job.

EDIT - Just watched again... I think the background noise in the cafe is an issue, not major, but something to watch out for in future interviews..
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-01-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Cheers for the reply Andy. I am agreeing with you about the audio the more times I watch it. I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMW-M51 wired shotgun mic at the moment but think I'l have to find some cheap wireless mics as they keep getting recommended to me for better audio. Incidentally, I was using a tripod outdoors, what am I doing wrong if the footage is still shaky? It's quite a light camera, a Panasonic TM700. The tripod is a Manfrotto 701RC2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by salfordonline View Post
    ..but think I'l have to find some cheap wireless mics as they keep getting recommended to me for better audio.
    Contary to the advice given by one single member on here, cheap really isn't better where mics are concerned. I'd just look into better placement of your existing mic, or perhaps a quality lavalier. And before said poster dives into to refute me, that person has a vested interest in knocking out cheap crap as he sells it and obviously would like to sell more of it. As in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by salfordonline View Post
    .Incidentally, I was using a tripod outdoors, what am I doing wrong if the footage is still shaky? It's quite a light camera, a Panasonic TM700. The tripod is a Manfrotto 701RC2.
    I'm very surprised - almost every shot looks hand held!

what am I doing wrong if the footage is still shaky?
    You need to let go of the camera when you are not panning.

I liked the piece. I agree with the others on the sound issue but I would also have liked to have the sound of the sculpture more prominent.

Yes I was thinking the same thing that MidnightBlue mentioned. If it were me I would have put in some hearty sounds that are produced by the sculpture. Or I would have forgotten to, and wished I did in hindsight. But I understand that it may have not been an option on the day you shot this piece if it wasn't a windy day.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to watch and critique, it's really appreciated. You're making me want to post everything I shoot here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast