Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colour Correction in Sony Vegas

Daviuds's advice is reallyu very helpful. Thank you.

It's surprising how playing around with Levels can affect the image even when it's already within the broadcast range and can be very useful for tuning to your taste or the mood yopu are trying to create.

I have used the Secondary Colour Corrector to change and adjust the colour of part(s) of the image. Using the lower half of the FX screen you can, for example, change the shade of blue in the sky or the colour of the sea (use and ajust the mask to check what areas will be affected). You can use the wheel several times on the same image if you want to.

I have to say that I have found Frederic Baumann's White Balance Corrector (as well as his exposure co9rrecror) to be of huge help, tremendously time saving and well worth the money. They are available at FBmn Software - plug-ins for Sony Vegas (I should add that I have no connection with Frederic apart from being an admirer of his products and skill)

Richard

Magic Bullet Looks is not a Colour Correction utility. Don't confuse a LOOK, with correction. Can it deal with bringing back skin tones, from say a fluorescent? If you stumble on it, you're lucky.

Again: 1 - Levels; 2 - Colour Correction; 3 - Grading.

Sure you can jump about, done it myself, but you won't know if you've got the basics in place.

Another source of guidance about the use of videoscopes (sorry but I'd forgotten about this in my first post in this thread) is to be found on the Vegas training page at:-

Sony Creative Software - Training - Vegas Pro

This is probably more informative about the use of scopes than the Webinar I referred to although the Webinar does include a lot of useful and practical guidance about using the Secondary Colour Corrector.

Richard

Blog Entries

Richard, you don't post often, but when you do it's priceless. Same goes for Grazie.
    Thanks Guys.
    Some great pointers contained within, so I thought I'd make this a sticky.
    Tim

You are too kind. I'm flattered.

Richard

There is a very easy method for color correction that is simple and will get you firmly in the ballpark. Pull up the waveform monitor (with chroma) and vector scope combination. Pull down the color corrector plugin to the video track. There are three sliding bars (red, blue, green). Select midtones and adjust the individual bars and watch the waveform monitor. As you slide through the balance on a color you will see a null in the chroma. Null all three colors this way and you will have baseline color balance. This is a very useful technique if you have failed to white balance your camera before the shoot. Then you can use the other color correction plugins in Vegas to tweek it to the look you want.

I'm sure that's a great tip Digger but I don't know what you mean by a null point.

That's the French results at the Eurovision song contests, Sorry could not let it pass.

Here's an interesting link to a set of 15 video's on colour work in FCPX. I know this is the "Sony Vegas" forum but, as with the previous video's relating to "AVID Media Composer", I think having as much knowledge as possible on various software is great, particularly when it comes to grading. It's not an in depth set of tutorials but has been made by someone who knows what they are doing and there is plenty that translates no matter what tools are being used, I'm sure it will be of interest to some.

FREE Final Cut Pro X Grading Tutorials | Color Grading Central

If I come across anything decent for Vegas I'll be sure to post it too.

David.

Cheers David, A good general understanding is a great advantage no matter what software is being used.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast