Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost completely new to this; help appreciated

Default Almost completely new to this; help appreciated

Basically I could do with a crash-course in simple video editing/composition. It doesn't need to be perfect, nor does it need to look completely professional.
    Essentially I am taking a Sign Language course, and part of it requires me to submit a video of myself signing. The teacher has suggested that signing a song would be a particularly good thing to include for good marks :-P
    While I am perfectly capable of editing a video as far as trimming, cutting pasting etc. just altering the stream (even so far as to correct a video that had [somehow] ended up with the video in the wrong order, but the audio just fine); I have no experience whatever in changing the content, adding subtitling, including another video within the overall video.
    What I'd like to do is to have a video of a choir singing a Christmas song, add in synchronised subtitles, and then myself in the corner signing along. If this isn't too much to ask?

Blog Entries

Hi Petrichor. Where abouts are you?
    It's not too much to ask. If you can film and record the stuff (you really don't want to be using an on-camera mic for the choir), someone could probably teach you how to do that with something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio in an afternoon. What software are you currently using?
    If you have access, your local camcorder club may well have someone who will spend some time with you getting you going - in return for a donation to the club.

I'm a little surprised that the examiner will let you edit this though. I've filmed a number of seessions of teachers for assessment and the examiners most definitely don't want the content edited.
    Tim

I'm in York.
    I don't intend to record the choir myself, I'll use other footage for that; will only need to record myself, and that won't need sound anyway: but I'll only be doing it on my iPad. Software I can get/borrow, so whatever is best, but somewhat budget (free is obviously ideal haha) would be good.
    As to the exam: this is more project work, intended to showcase what I've picked up: the exam itself is also taped, and there'll be no funny business with that. I'm only trying to show off a little to be honest haha.

When does it need to be handed in. I might be able to help being local.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When does it need to be handed in. I might be able to help being local.
    Oh, thanks.
    It's due by the 13th of December...

That will give us plenty of time to do it. If you drop me a PM with your contact detail, we can arrange things.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That will give up plenty of time to do it. If you drop me a PM with your contact detail, we can arrange things.
    Don't do it, Petrichor! He'll charge you the earth and steal your footage!

Only kidding! That's a really great offer from probably the most helpful person on here. You're a gem Midnight!
    Tim

It is indeed a great offer.
    I actually got myself a copy of Sony Vegas and have managed to put together something adequate for my own needs from a little tinkering.
    Have a look: BSL agk - YouTube
    I know it's rough, but it's to showcase my BSL learning, not video editing ability lol.
    Thanks so much for the offer though Midnight!

Blog Entries

Great job. There are people who've worked with Vegas for years who's still ask how to do that!
    Tim

I'm glad you managed to handle it. If you have to do another one set the Project properties to 16:9 aspect ratio and that will give you more screen space. As Tim said it takes some people quite some time to do PiP/split screen work, so well done for what you've accomplished out of the box like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast