Thread: New to Videography Advise needed

Default New to Videography Advise needed

HI

All not sure if this belongs here but i want to get into videography. Currently i have just a home based digital HD camera and have never done any video editing before.

Advise needed on lots ofthings ill list them

1. software... currently have a pc but if plans go right and i enjoy it i will be looking to purchase a mac.
    Video editing help/advise also recommended

2. Camera-- will like to get a professional Camera.. how should i be looking to spend ive budgted around 2k for future... where shall i purchase shall i go Hong Kong?

3.any courses you recommend that are out there.

4.Any magazines i can read to pick up some tips etc theres plenty of photography ones in whsmith none videogprahy is there one?

i will most probbaly go in to Wedding/events/concerts etc..

Hi Atiff,

I'll do the best to answer your questions but I'm sure others will have different opinions.

1. Software, I would go for Premiere Pro, Final Cut has been the standard for the last few years, but they just got rid of FCP 7 and even though there are rumours they're bringing it back I would save yourself a whole bunch of money and stick with your PC or even buy a new one.

2. My personal favourite brand as far as cameras are concerned is Panasonic, I would go for the HVX range or maybe use the money you save from not buying a mac to put towards an HPX 171.

3. Courses very much depend on where you are, but try and get testimonials from former students.

4. Have a read of this blog post http://allvideoproductionsuk.blogspot.com/2011/07/getting-started-as-video-producer.html

h
    ttp://www.rolirivelino.com

Thanks for your help.

so Final Cut is only used for Apple? and Premiere Pro is a PC software? i have some home videos ill practice some tips.. any user guides or website links you can recommend that will will learn and get the best out of Premiere Pro?

Ill check out cameras later... Not sure how i will get testiomonials yet though as i dont have client base and havent covered any events.

keep the advise coming though and thanks for your help

Yes Final Cut is only for Apple, but you can run Premiere Pro on either, but you'll save a lot of money going the PC route. Try out Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more for some tutorials.

Video Production Services Company UK London

It might be worth taking a look at the IOV. I found them useful when starting up.

Hi

yes i did contact them what did you find so useful about IOV

The networking with other members is very useful. They have a forum which encompasses all aspects of being a videographer. The "Video Skills" accreditation adds knowledge of the basics in shooting videos and running a video company. The accreditation may add something in the eyes of potential customers if they see you have some sort of qualification and a member of a professional group.

Like any group you join you only really get out of it what you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Atiff_uk View Post
    HI
    1. software... currently have a pc but if plans go right and i enjoy it i will be looking to purchase a mac.
    Video editing help/advise also recommended
    To be honest software is irrelevant, I own the full Adobe Production suite and yet most of what I do could be done in any 100 editing software out there, The editing software is merely a brand of tool-box that you can use, Who say's that one type of hammer is better than another? They both can knock in nails! The most important side of video lies in how you use the camera, not the software used to edit!
    As for purchasing a mac just for video, I would advise against that, Better to save your money for camera kit/tripods, ect. Or maybe even upgrading your PC.

2. Camera-- will like to get a professional Camera.. how should i be looking to spend ive budgted around 2k for future... where shall i purchase shall i go Hong Kong?
    Do not go to Hong Kong for anything. There are reasons why you can buy equipment there for so cheap compared to dealers in the UK.
    Canon XHA1S 3CCD Digital Camcorder: Amazon.co.uk: ElectronicsI'm not saying this is the "best" camera for your budget but look at the features of this camera.
    The sensor is nice and large, It has manual controls for each element, You can plug in external microphones via XLR and quite a bit more.

3.any courses you recommend that are out there.
    I personally would not recommend any courses, You can learn a lot more by working on the job for free learning how to do it than going to a course where the instructor will be setting the standard to the lowest capable student...and that may involve just importing the footage or turning the camera on!

4.Any magazines i can read to pick up some tips etc theres plenty of photography ones in whsmith none videogprahy is there one?
    Yes, To my knowledge there are no magazines for video production, But the 2 arts combine to some extent, If you try learning how to take a good photo ( Manually setting the camera up, Framing the shots, ect ) When you come to a video camera, Your framing, Setting of manual controls will be better.
    Try reading a few of the topics in our guides section, There are quite a few helpful topics in there!
    Members here will be able to recommend books for you to purchase off Amazon which deal with specific tasks or projects in the video world.

i will most probbaly go in to Wedding/events/concerts etc..
    Before you spend a penny, You could try to "work for free" at a couple of these events that already have a camera operator, Even if your just cable bashing ( Holding the cable whilst the tripod dolly moves around ) you can get experience.

Not sure I can help, but jumping in with expensive gear and software (etc) is probably not the best way to learn the craft..

IMHO, OP needs to join a group of Videographers, go on a commercial course, even act a gofer for a local video-outfit when they are particularly busy.

---This will build-up some background and view on how things are done - and this should influence the choice of camera/editor/ and area of working.

I have a very simple camera and it's operational within a few seconds; whereas I've used pro-gear and found I've yet to press the Go button after 10+ minutes, such is the degree of know-how needed to set it up. The result will be far better, but my camera gets the moment and sometimes that's what is needed.
    I suspect this is why DSLR's are popular with Wedding Vids.

BTW Sony Vegas Studio is popular here ( +see dedicated Forum on this Software), and can be downloaded for 30-day trial FOC. and the price-difference will go a long way to paying for a PC update.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 11-30-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks for the excellent advise ill try to see if i can do some shadowing with some videographers sounds like this is the best way to go to gain on the job experience

Can you recommend any commercial courses i live in the south west area.. the thing with courses its about what i want to get out of them.. i dont want to learn how to swtich a camera on or off.. that is one thing im concerned about.