Thread: simultaneous video clips

London, England

Default simultaneous video clips

Need some advice on Studio 10:
    Trying to run two, or more, videos at the same time.

I've had limited success using the Opacity control attached to individual clips, as this does allow the higher (up the Edit/Time-line ) clip to show as well. However, it dulls the colours, so I wonder if there isn't a better way to "mix" two+ clips, so both have greater brightness. I accept that where colours overlap the added brightness can create white (ie overload), but hope there is a way maybe to avoid this.

My trial used vids of coloured light moving more-or-less in a "dancing" or random way, though I found it didn't look very "busy" - but by adding a copy (Reversed), the lights appear to be somewhat random fashion. However it is a tad "dull" chromatically.

Experimenting with some of the "Event FX" to alter the light-shapes means they are not obviously the same clip repeated....but the Opacity appears to be limiting the effect I'm after.

Recently bought LED lights that "twinkle" (so they appear to disappear and reappear more or else by magic. Colour-change LEDS are also a possibility, but "multiply" the numbers of tracks, whilst maintaining the colour - can it be done, I wonder?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 11-28-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi VM

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, what you really need to be able to do is to "add" the value of the pixels in one layer to the other - so that where the value is, black on one layer (0,0,0) and red on the other (255,0,0) the resulting pixel is red (255,0,0).

I'm scratching my head as to how you could do this in VMS and will continue to do so. In Vegas Pro this facility exists. Whereas you have only a couple of "Compositing Modes", Pro has hal a dozen or so, including Add (what you want), Subtract and some more esoteric ones, each of which have their uses, such as "Difference" and "Difference Squared".

I'll keep thinking ...