Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symultaneous, multi camera montage strategy?

Default Symultaneous, multi camera montage strategy?

Probably not software specific but for the record :- Vegas Movie studio Platinum 10

So I have video from 4 cameras, shot simultaneously. Since its a music performance, it was easy (!) to time align them. Now the big step. Cutting BETWEEN the cameras i.e. Cam1 to Cam2. back to 1 an off to 3 etc.

Is it usual to split and move the shots I want onto the same line (and risk them getting out of time or fade out the shots that I don't want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by pbassred View Post
    Is it usual to split and move the shots I want onto the same line (and risk them getting out of time or fade out the shots that I don't want to see?
    Er ......? If the narrative requires a fade, use a fade. If not a straight cut. I cut music according to the narrative of the available sound bed. Why would something be outta wack?

I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than needs be.

1] Select a sound bed you want

2] put ALL the footage on the Tracks:

Track 1 = Camera 1
    Track 2 = Camera 2

etc etc

Use the MultiCam feature of Vegas or one from VASST of Excalibur.

I've done this from first principles by using Track Motion to position 3 Camera outputs on the Preview screen to get a Vision Mixer type setup going. It's great fun!

Last edited by Grazie; 11-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.

No. That's not what i meant at all! Its not shots that i am putting to music. This is all video of a live music event. They are shot of the same musicians, taken from different angles. The question was not about choosing to fade or cut. It was whether to move the video I want onto a common line, or find a way to switch the different tracks on and off.

I'm taking it there's no Multicam in Studio? If not, take the trial of Vaast Excalibur and see how you get on with it. Or...you could put the clips on separate tracks, synch them up, then add a PIP effect to each one. Position them in separate corners of the screen. Then play through and cut in/out each track where you want to. That's assuming Studio has a PIP effect.

I can't find a PIP in studio. I reluctant to start over in a new package. It took me all yesterday to get this one synced up.

Plural eyes has a fully functioning trial for 30 days. Saves me hours of syncing up.

I don't know Studio - I use pro. is there a track motion option? That can be used for a PIP effect.

So basically use different software :-(

err....no. Just saying 'Plural Eyes' would have saved you a LOT of time with the sync. (If it's compatible with Studio) This tutorial here: Cropping and Track Motion Tutorial for Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 - YouTube Shows how to use track motion in Studio. Older version, but I'll bet most of it applies.

Good link Archie. Here's one to compare the suites. 10 tracks huh!!

Vegas Pro 11 Product Comparisons

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I'm taking it there's no Multicam in Studio? If not, take the trial of Vaast Excalibur and see how you get on with it...That's assuming Studio has a PIP effect.
    Studio does have PiP (it's not called that as a specific effect, you need to use Track motion, pbassred), but it doesn't have scripting so Excaliber is a no, no.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast