Thread: I am completely lost and I know it

Default I am completely lost and I know it

Bare with me please, here is my dilema and dont know what to do.

I have video site, all videos i shoot with a simple camcorder, and simply encode with handbrake, I then host them on amazon s3

My problems arise when I wanted to do some simple titles, transitions. What do I do?

Do I import the raw video from my sd card into a video editor, do what I want then encode them in handbrake? Its seems a very time consuming process but I know next to nothing about video.

I encode to .mp4 and the majority of videos are 30-50 mb in size and I have about 300 of them.

My laptop has a hard time trying to edit a file that is 1gb in size before encoding.

Where do i start im totally lost after playing with many editors

I would get a quote from someone who will put titles on your videos for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    My problems arise when I wanted to do some simple titles, transitions. What do I do?

Do I import the raw video from my sd card into a video editor, do what I want then encode them in handbrake? Its seems a very time consuming process but I know next to nothing about video.
    Basically yes! Editing is a very time consuming process. At least you have the files on SD - it was even more tedious when you had to capture from digital tape, or worse from analog tape (these had to be done in real-time).

However, you do not need to use Handbrake (though there are many who swear by it). Most video editors (you'll see the term "NLE" for Non-Linear Editor) will allow you to render directly from the timeline (ie where your editing takes place) to MP4. Having said that, you might wish to render "masters" to a higher quality format first for archiving and then render these to MP4.
    Tim

Learning an Editor program may take some time, although you could have a go at Windows Live Movie Maker, although it has little in the way of features. (free download for Win7, this will Edit HD)

As Midnight Blue suggested "paying someone" removes this uncertainty, frustration and ANGER when the software refuses to Help.

For future Editing you could try Sony Vegas Studio, v11 is the current version, about 40 Amazon - but I'd spend the marginal extra and get the "Production Suite" that has some additional programs and a 1hr Tutorial DVD (although it's a tad fast for raw-beginners).
    You will need a powerful PC; something like Quad-core 4G RAM and 2.8GHz with plenty of HDD space.

I use studio v10 and You can "Save to HDD" and then use this later to create whatever you need. However, these video files do need a lot of storage space - so an internal SATA drive of 1-2Tb is probably advisable - USB can be "difficult" if it involves Rendering. For external storage consider an eSATA drive, this needs to be set up when installing Win7, so get it working by yr Supplier.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 11-30-2011 at 01:26 AM.