Thread: Chaning multiple subtitles at once

Default Chaning multiple subtitles at once

Hello there, i ran into this problem. I just finnished doing subtitles for a 10 min video and i forgot to add 1 thing - the shadows to make subtitles more readable. Is there any way to change things like this in multiples subtitles with a press of a few buttons or am i doomed to go trough every subtitle ???

So long as all the properties want to be the same on each title this is easy. Adjust the first title as you want it with the shadows etc. copy the clip then select all the other titles then right click one of the selected clips and choose paste event attributes. This will make all the attributes the same for each title.

Oops I've just tested this and it doesn't work on text clips only on video clips. Sorry.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.

what about thirds to help out, that might be quicker and easer

Blog Entries

Here's a neat way (assuming you have Pro):
    Duplicate the track which has the subtitles and place this track below the real subtitles track.
    Change the "Composite Mode" for the trac to "Subtract". this changes the white subtitles to black and retains the transparency.
    Use track motion to offset the shadows.
    You can also add Gausian Blur to the shadow track, if you want featheres subtitles.

This only really works with White subtitles, but I'm sure you could play around adding other effects to "force" the subtitle shadows to become black.

EDIT: And here's a way if you don't have Pro:

This is the same as above except that instead of changing the "Composite Mode" (which you can't do in Movie Studio), drop a "Sony Invert" FX on the track and set the blend amount to 100% invert.

Simples!
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-24-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Tim

I'm glad you came up with a solution Tim, I felt bad about my dumb attempt. I was trying to think of some sort of script but I don't have a clue when it comes to scripts. Z's idea of putting in lower thirds might work depending on what the video is and so long as it was transparent enough.

Or you could choose solid colour from the effects bin (assuming you're using FCP) you then adjust the transparency, height and position for the 1st subtitles then copy and paste over the remaining subtitles.

The disadvantages of this method is that if your 1st set of subtitles is 1 line then it won't cover a 2 or 3 liner, I would adjust it to a 2 liner and then readjust where necessary.

Video Production Services Company UK London

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dariv View Post
    Or you could choose solid colour from the effects bin (assuming you're using FCP)
    Althought if the OP was using FCP he'd probably have posted the question in the FCP section
    Tim

FWIW -( & this is Vegas Studio v10 )- I often give Text-on-Transparent/titles a small amount of dark background, rather than 100% transparent: whilst this darkens the vid behind, it does make the letters stand out crisply, even against a "fussy" or moving background.
    If the vid is already dark (night) then I'd drop the brightness on the Text as well; so as not to frighten the viewer!

OP hasn't specified the software, Doh!
    - although as has been pointed out, this IS a Vegas Thread.

Personally, I hate shadows behind text, esp. when I can see it totally detached from the letters. Arty types need to dose-up on Reality, and may be learn the Art of a Compositor. Text must be readable! (Not everyone has 20-20 vision.).

So rather than create shadows for each item of text, I'd just drop the transparency maybe 10% - this will g'tee easy reading.

BTW - no more that 3-lines of text per slide....and try to stick with Arial 36pt.
    -use the Tracking and leading to fill 3/4 of the frame. (that provides a bit of edge clearance so the viewer knows they aren't missing anything).....but then, some say, I am completely BoNkErs.

Now ready to receive poison arrows.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 11-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.