Thread: How do I maintain the High Definition from my HD TV?

Default How do I maintain the High Definition from my HD TV?

Hello all. Here are my questions: I have a tv HD receiver which of course gives me digital signal. Some channels I record are normal (SD), and some are HD. I have connected a portable (external) HDD through the receiver's USB port, and I record directly on it. The resulting files are usually around 4GB each. I also have an LG Blu-Ray player, and I have installed an LG Blu-Ray burner on my PC. So I burn these video files on DVD and Blu-Ray Discs (BD). My main concern is to maintain the nice HD quality I see on my large format TV at the time of recording, when I will be replaying the video files later.
    Question 1 about SD programs: if the overall size of the files making up the video are less than 4.7 GB, or 8.5 GB (double layer), can I put them onto one of these two? Will the video/audio quality improve if I put them onto a BD?
    Question 2 about HD programs: if the overall size of the files making up the video are less than 25GB (the size of the BD), should I still use a BD? Or can I burn a HD program onto a DVD?

I use XILISOFT to convert the TV digital signal into HD-DivX Video before burning the files onto disc. Is that the best option? The other options (all in HD) are ASF, AVI, H264, MPEG2 TS, MPEG2 PS, MPEG4, RM, WMV, Xvid Video.

So basically, what is the way to optimize for SD and for HD video/audio quality, using a DVD or BD?

Thank you all for your help!

Q1. Putting SD footage onto a BluRay Disk won't improve the image.
    Q2. You can't put HD footage onto a standard DVD because the codec/software that reads the disk is different, it's not just about the file size. This is one of the reasons a normal DVD player can't play a BluRay disk.

I can't help you with settings for the XILISOFT software because I've never used it but I would recomend not converting the footage if your burning software will accept it as it is. The less you alter footage the better the quality will be.

Default How do I maintain the High Definition form my HDTV?

Thanks for your answer. Regarding the advise "not" to change the format, well, the format that comes from the HDTV is "tsm" files. Would that replay on a DVD or Blu-Ray?

It's not really about whether a .tsm file will play on a DVD, it's whether your burning software can deal with .tsm files. The burning software does the conversion to the compatable format before it burns it on the disk. On a standard DVD the format is an mpeg2 but it's been put in a .vob file or wrapper.