Thread: Dust - Short film (Set in 2060)

1. Default Dust - Short film (Set in 2060)

Hi Guys thought you would like to check this out.

It's 2060 and this story focuses on one free spirits survival, living in isolation amongst the junk and waste on a landfill on the outskirts of a society he rejects.

He has built a home, found freedom and held on to his creativity through his music and the philosophy he finds in old books.

With only an old Dictaphone for company, ‘Dust’ has the mentality of a survivor, but is he the “only alien in the ant farm” and can he stay off the radar forever?

* INTERESTING FACT! This film has been placed in a time capsule (as featured in this film) underneath Hanley Fire Station along with Lauren's short doco 'We Were Here' to be pulled out of the ground in 2060 - let's see if we have predicted the future!?

- Included in upcoming feature film "Makers: Our Story" noted as "the most important documentary on the British Independent Film Industry of its time."

“Dust is a gripping short film, which has a kind of empathic sci fi feel to it. This piece has an air of professional and unique creativity about it”
    - The Kaje Magazine.

Your feedback would be really appreciated

2. Default

Behind the scenes:

Very nice work Lauren. I hope it does well for you.

Blog Entries

Great location, well acted and shot. The look was appropriate though the grading seemd a bit inconsistant at times.

I never like to see a musical instrument played where it's obvious the actor is not playing it (the penny whistle) - sorry, it just removes all credibilty for me. The sax, on the other hand, was much better done in that we coulnd't really see what his hands were doing. The low shot looking up at "Dust" playing the sax was a great shot, but I didn't think it fitted with the film. Overall though, very good from the point of view of production.

Unfortunately the story might have been novel in the 1950s but it's a totally tired formula now (Rush's album "2112" and "We Will Rock You", being two productions decades apart using the same basic story). It's probably true that there is a limited number of plots, but to be successful a new version really has to bring something innovative to the tale. Sadly this didn't.
    Tim

but to be successful a new version really has to bring something innovative to the tale. Sadly this didn't.
    I'm not sure that's true Tim. This took a 1984 type of situation but looked at it from a different perspective, from the point of view of a loner who sits outside the system and using a simple thing like the of music, to show how aesthetics beauty is so powerful it can overcome the suppression of oppressively brainwashed system enforcer. This wasn't just another Mad Max.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm not sure that's true Tim. This took a 1984 type of situation but looked at it from a different perspective, from the point of view of a loner who sits outside the system and using a simple thing like the of music, to show how aesthetics beauty is so powerful it can overcome the suppression of oppressively brainwashed system enforcer. This wasn't just another Mad Max.
    You weren't a Rush fan then! Similar idea - manfinds a musical instrument (and rather miraculously figures out how to tune iit and play it within the space of one sone) and thinks it's wonderful and moving and can create a better life for all, but the state suppresses it.

We Will Rock You: 'We Will Rock You' is a futuristic tale which tells of a massive corporation, Globalsoft, which sends computer generated music to all of the people on the planet. Singing, musical instruments, and any expression of creativity, are banned. But Lost Texts are known to exist which talk of music from years gone by. A group of rebels (the Bohemians) strive to discover the lost music, and bring down the corporation. The two heroes, Galileo and Scaramouche, discover musical instruments buried in rock, which they use to vaporise the head of the corporation (The Killer Queen), and send the Power Of Rock around the world to free the masses, enabling them to be musically creative once again.

Whilst neither are identical to the plot in "Dust" or each other, all three use the outsiders finding in music the power to question or bring down a brainwashing totalitarian state. And in all three we are meant to identify with the outsider.
    Tim

I obviously need to get out more or at least open up my vistas.

My dentist has a rush poster on his wall which = I don't like the dentist = I don't like Rush. Illogical I know.
    I thought We will Rock You was about Queen. Remember I live "up north" we don't have such things as musical theatre up 'ere, we wear flat caps and breed ferrets. The high light of the week is the Pigeon race.

I stand corrected.

8. Default

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The Actor was actually playing the sax and the Tin whistle though the tin whistle could have been added in post for sound. I will find out. I'm not the Film maker you see. I'm the 'hopefully' scary policeman.

Tom.