Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn's last ride!

Smile Autumn's last ride!

As some of you know I record all my movies with my only videocamera, my GoPro HD HERO2 and I love using it! Im not the best editor or photographer! Im doing my best, and Im developing constantly, perhaps one day I will be able to create theese incredible videos some people already do today!

This will probley be my last motorcycle ride for this year! Its really cold in Sweden now, the past days its been around 0-2*C. Ive been driving with alot of clothes, but in the end I come home extremly cold So! Its going to get parked in the garage now during the Winter.

When I first saw you moving on the rocks it looks quite dangerous. So the section on the normal road looked tame after that. I'm not suggesting you should do dangerous things on your video. because the Go pro was in the fixed position on your helmet it didn't give us a variety of shots that would have created more interest.

I appriciate the response mate! Yea I guess I should try to get a few more angles, but with the GoPro you kinda just hit record and let it record during the whole time, when you get back home you find some good clips and make a video about it!

No one else got any help to give?

Blog Entries

I think shots like this from a mounted GoPro can really add something to a video. Unfortunately I don't thing they can be the video.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think shots like this from a mounted GoPro can really add something to a video. Unfortunately I don't thing they can be the video.
    Well I partly agree with you, but you have to admit that the wide lens, makes the "video" more intresting

If I may suggest, Try watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqSedWSu2k

W
    hilst you may disagree with the "content" think about the shots, the close ups, the wides, the angles, the framing, ect.
    Now imagine if all they had was a static camera mounted on the bonnet of the car

If your looking to step forwards in this, Perhaps find a friend who can video you at key points on the ride...Hand him the Gopro and let us see you swerve and turn over those rocks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fopo View Post
    Well I partly agree with you, but you have to admit that the wide lens, makes the "video" more intresting
    I think that's probably where we have to disagree. The wide angle shots add something when they're used sparingly. But like any effect, if used throughout they become either invisible or (worse) annoying. "Again it's a case of less is more". Just my opinion, obviously
    Tim

Some amateur film makers never ask themselves who their intended audience is.
    You have a video camera and an editing program: how hard can it be to make a video?
    Actually it's fairly easy, but who will watch your production? Your mum and dad will for sure, that's what parents are for. Your wife will and your kids will, too. If you want a wider audience than your immediate family you could invite the lads down at the pub to call round to your place for beer and sandwiches. (Oh, and a film show).
    Being lads, they may be expecting to see a video featuring Swedish nurses, unless you've already told them that it's Amateur Hour at your place and YOU are the amateur film maker in question. In which case be prepared not to get as many lads round as you'd hoped.
    Unless you know your audience how can you go about making a film that will interest them?
    It isn't nearly enough to say a wide angle lens adds "interest" and settle for that, as though a wide lens was the Holy Grail of video production.
    And despite the wide angle I have yet to see a video where a helmet-mounted camera held my attention for more than a few seconds at best.
    The camera should film the subject on behalf of the intended audience. They can't be there themselves so you film on their behalf. Your camera becomes their eyes, as though they were there to see things for themselves. Would they know how they instantly got from a pile of rocks near the sea to a multi-lane highway? They would NEVER experience the visual shock you subject them to in your video.
    Instead they would look around and have an understanding of exactly where they are and how they got there.
    Where are the visual clues in your video to provide them with that understanding?
    They see the bike parked but they don't see a shot of you riding: an essential element so that they will know what you and your bike look like together. People relate to people first, then animals. Everything else in the world, including your bike, is just "stuff".
    Question: If you were among the audience watching this video for the first time what would your reaction be?
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 01-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Actually it's fairly easy, but who will watch your production? ...and your kids will, too.
    As someone with twenty something children and teen step-children, I disagree that even that's the case ...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    People relate to people first, then animals. Everything else in the world, including your bike, is just "stuff".
    Actually, some people seem to relate to animals first.... but in principle you're right.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast