Thread: New Gymnastics Movie

Default New Gymnastics Movie

A new video from Awesome Production, featuring Stag. Tell me what you think.
    Sorry about the quality around the twixtor part, don't know whats happenening!

It's a shame about the distortion caused by twixter. Could you not just use your editing program to do the slow mo etc.

Yeah i probably could, but twixtor slow mo, its my dreams, it is so much better there is much more detail in the frames and it looks so awesome, with the effect that one frame kinda drags after, it is so awesome. But the strang when i watch the edit on my computer, its perfectly fine. But when i upload it, it gets the distortion, online uploading has never been a friend of mine.
    I ow you a big thanks tho, thank you so much for the rendering settings! Now i understand how to set the setting for each camera, and my roommate just got his camera back so will test it out and a new edit will come along soon

Blog Entries

Sorry, this really doesn't work. It doesn't do the team and their skills justice.
    For a start the footage is really rather poor. The colours are all wrong and all the action is shot from the same distance.
    The constant speeding up, slomo and going back and forth actually detracts from the action of the team. We don't know what's real and what's video enhanced.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Please do not duplicate posts. You had two threads with the same video going with comments. This is just plain messy and confusing. It's bad enough for mods keeping out the spam without havng to move and merge threads.
    Thanks you
    Tim

Im sorry Tim, i am a noob. I thank you for your critics, and i will not duplicate posts anymore, i was kinda caught up with the whole idea of showing the movie, not intended as spam but just pure eagerness. Now, you mean that i need more variation in this kind of edit? Like in angles and distance? And the colors, can you add anything to that?
    Thank you in advance, and excuse my rudeness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeProductions View Post
    Im sorry Tim, i am a noob.
    No worries - I totally understand your enthusism (that's why I tried to explain why it's a problem, rather than have a dig)
    As for the film:
    Yes, variations in angles and mix in some close ups etc. Try to get some shots of just the feet launching or hands. We don't always need to see the whole body. I know you want to show off the whole tumble (or whatever you call it) and that would be exactly right if you wre making the video for a judge/adjudicator. But if you want to enteratin, you need to learn to cheat! Use a run up from behind the gymnast, a side view of the his feet as he takes off then maybe another wide view from the same side showing most of teh tumble, then a three quarter view from the same side as he approaches the camera to finish, closing in on a close-up of his face. Obviously you need lost of different takes and he'll have to repeat the same routine (if possible) but this'll make a mire entertaining video.

As forthe colours,they looked a bit off. Did you white balance? Even then it's worth cheatings and livening it up a bit, crunch the blacks, boost the highlights and maybe increase the saturation (or decrease it to give it a different look)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-15-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As forthe colours,they looked a bit off. Did you white balance? Even then it's worth cheatings and livening it up a bit, crunch the blacks, boost the highlights and maybe increase the saturation (or decrease it to give it a different look)
    If i understood this right, you want the colors more "cool" and dark, with a touch of light? I realized that in my edit there is a lot of yellow-like colors. Difficult to to say in English, but if i crunch the blacks, as in lower them ever more? The whole picture becomes serious and more "blue". Increasing the highlights, as bringing forth the lightened areas more? Tried some with the saturation, did not get much of an effect with it.
    Thank you again!

Blog Entries

The first point, about white balance. When I say the colours look a bit "off", they don't appear natural - look at the skin tones - eg 0:23. Ccolour reflected from the surroundings muck about with the colours of what we're seeing. The human eye/brain is great at compensating for this in the situation, but on film it shows. Cameras usually have a "white balance" control (basically set so that the whites look white). This is often automatic -and sometime it doesn't get it right. Alternatively it might have a preset (tungsten, cloudy, sunny) and if it's been set to the wrong one the overall colour will be wrong. The latter point is, once you've got it natural, to consider giving it a "character" by making it more unnatural again, but in a way that is intentional.

Here's an example showing a few seconds of your footage, then after colour correction for white balance, then with some increased contrast (usin colour curves) and desaturation. This is only very rough to give an idea. The final "look" is a matter of taste rather than a recommendation. Please also note the loss of quality is due to the vid going through four different formats (downloaded in real, converted to wwv, rendered as avi reconverted to flv (?) by YouTube. And interestingly it was the upload which killed the aspect ratio (new YT upload page problem?)

Last edited by TimStannard; 11-18-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Tim