Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video - Drake "Take Care"

Lightbulb New Video - Drake "Take Care"

Check it out! Filmed on the Canon 5D. Tell me what ya'll think!

Blog Entries

You spent lots of time getting the lighting right, getting the dancing right - and you left your camera tilting off level. Shame.

Damn... is it really that noticeable? I need a new tripod...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmvideo View Post
    I need a new tripod...
    No you dont - you just need to set your existing one up properly.

I liked the video content but found the red lighting to much I would have prefered a mix of light colours. You can easily fix the wonky tripod in post.

Well done.

Blog Entries

Most of you know I'm a pretty lousy cameraman so maybe you can help educate me here.

I don't think the tripod is off. Or rather it is only very slightly off. It's an optical illusion because the camera is not perpendicular to the scene. If you look at the join between the ceiling and the rear wall (with the window) it is pretty much parallel with the top of the frame. If you look at the verticals, they are pretty much vertical - parallel with the side of the frame (I was geeky enough to measure this!).

But the bottom of the window clearly slopes in the frame, but this is not due to the camera being tilted, it is a simple case of perspective.

I agree it looks totally wrong. It seems to me that the shot was set up to be square which it isn't - hence why the shot looks wrong. However, rather than set it up perfectly square, a far better shot would be having the camera at 20-40 degrees from the perpendicular, giving a sense of perspective and depth. (It will also have the benefit that if your tripos is only slightly off, it will not be as noticable)

Quite a clever film though - I presume you did the zooming in post - syncing the movement with a manual zoom would have been a massive challenge.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-11-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Tim

On the opening shot, it might be the blinds on the left are not hanging properly also the the camera is perpendicular to the couch but not the back wall. This adds to the wonky effect. When they move the camera for the red shots it seems square enough to me but the unbalanced position of the camera from the centre again makes it look wonky. If you add one increment of tilt in Vegas it looks better. However when I put my wifes reading glasses on it could be upside down for all I know as they are so strong. I was geeky enough to test this.

Thanks for all the analysis! I definitely will be more careful next time. I had to take care of every little detail on this video by myself which probably resulted in this mistake.

To add another layer to the confusion... when I set up my camera on the tripod, for some reason it looked "off"... I noticed that the line of the ceiling did not line up with the top of the shot, and the floor didn't line up with the bottom. Everything on the tripod indicated that it should be perfectly balanced.. little bubble was dead center in the level portion, and all 3 legs were for sure the same length. I had to then compensate by lengthening the leg on the left about 1-1.5 centimeters to get the ceiling to match the top of the frame.... I think the majority of the problem IS at the camera is turned to the left slightly, but there's more to it that I can't put my finger on.... Perhaps the room is slightly imperfect.. this is kind of driving me nuts now that I actually notice it.

Blog Entries

Well I really started something there didn't I. I agree the camera isn't dead square centre of the room. And that more likely than not makes the effect worse.

Still liked the video though.

I moved into a house in Wales many years back. After I'd paid the deposit I noticed the back wall didn't appear square. So standing as far back as we could, my partner and I agreed the whole ceiling was cranked down in one corner by as much as a few inches. An apple in the room above proved this as everywhere you lay it down, it rolled to that corner with some ferocity.
    Laying in bed felt like sitting atop a slide in the playground... though most of it was psychological. Anyway. Nice vid. Subsidence devalues property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast