Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to do jib shots...

Blog Entries

Default How NOT to do jib shots...

An object lesson here in how NOT to do jib shots. The whole thing is a comedy of errors. Poor framing, wobbly shots, aimless camera wandering.. - But almost worst of all is the shot at 1:11. I hope the bride never got this shot in her wedding DVD - she'd be mortified I'm sure.

Oh - and the comedy speeded up dancing had me crying with laughter... see what you think!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    see what you think!
    Personally I think the world needs more shots like 1:11!
    Tim

Blog Entries

At first I didn't quite understand that this was someone else's work and I was thinking "What the f... has got into Andy? This is nowhere near his usual standard." and then I saw "the shot" at 1:11...

That's the sort of thing which gets put in the unofficial christmas video at the firm's party, it does not get shown to anyone else! You're right about the work being a "how not to" showreel. Unmotivated swoops aplenty. The comedy dancing is a gem.

To buy a jib system... 1000, to have the skill to use it... Priceless.

Blog Entries

I suspect actually that alot of the shots were done by holding a monopod up high in the air... But that aside, what puzzles me is that the poster thinks the footage does them any favours and more, that bookings might come as a result. 99 percent of whats in that video should be on the cutting room floor.

When I first saw the title I thought you were talking about my rubbish efforts. I can certainly vouch that Andy makes jibs work look easy but it's not as easy as it looks. Well as a show reel this does the company no favours.

TBH Jibs on a wedding day . . . gotta be the hardest place to try and find the room/get the killer shots in peace.
    Nothing like having the time and room to play to get the perfect shots, but fair play to them it's giving their clients something different (especially 1.11) and they are covering asian weddings where virtually any shot goes.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

1:11 is quite special.

However, if their price point is at a certain level, They might undercut the good jib ops out there for wedding videos.

Yes it's not a "Pro" example of how to use Jib shots but if your budget will get you a pro with a tripod or this guy who can go up in the air...People may choose the latter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    ..and they are covering asian weddings where virtually any shot goes.
    Ain't that the truth!!!

Andy
    The shot at 1:11 is pure art .........twin peaks springs to mind.....next time fella I absolutely want this shot !...........no slacking sunshine !!!

G

Well... um... being a newb at videography, I thought this was going to be a lot worse having read a few replies before attempting the film! Can someone link to a video of how jib should be shot cos, I'd be proud if I'd done this...
    Personally, I'll be aiming to get a 1:11 in all my videos from now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast