Thread: Question for Millsy

Default Question for Millsy

Hi Alan. How are you getting on with editing the FX1 footage? and have you had to buy any extra software for Premiere Pro to be able to edit. Thinking of getting the Sony and really need to know what the quality is like after downgrading in editing from the raw captured HD to SD. Any advice appreciated

Default Re: Question for Millsy

Quote Originally Posted by shiner
    Hi Alan. How are you getting on with editing the FX1 footage? and have you had to buy any extra software for Premiere Pro to be able to edit.
    Well, if you're a Premiere Pro user it's obligatory to upgrade to 1.5 (if you don't already have it) so that you can patch that to 1.5.1 with the high def upgrade. This gives you HDV capture and edit modes, with some nice presets for PAL widescreen, P&X etc etc. I've noticed that the capture produces very large AVI files (1440x1080 - non-square pixels). other premiere plugins allow the capture of the MPEG2 stream directly which might be your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Special Offer
    I've noticed that when buying Aspect HD, for an extra 200 you can get full licences fro Premiere Pro, Encore and Audition so if I go for this in a month or two I might be able to help someone get copies of these quite cheaply yet legitimately
    The painful bit for me is the render time. I'm not used to this (as everyone here knows ) so I may opt to buy the Aspect HD plugin and gain realtime editing in HDV oince I really get going with it.

Thinking of getting the Sony and really need to know what the quality is like after downgrading in editing from the raw captured HD to SD. Any advice appreciated
    Well, I still haven't really done much with it tbh. "McGill's New Gun" was shot in high def and downconverted in realtime during capture. So I basically had a SD AVI to edit. For me the quality is fine for doing this. The worry is that if you drop a frame then you drop a whole GOP.

The first thing I did with the camera is the test you are talking about. I posted a couple of stills because the resultant video was just too large to upload. I filmed a shot in both HDV and SD and amde three captures of them. High def, downconvert to SD and the standard SD.

if you're interested then I suggest you email me for a snailmail address then (when i reply) you can send me a disk and I'll fill it with the stuff I've shot so you can see the difference.

The other thing I might add, is that if you get the FX1 then, if you can afford it, get a Beachtek A4 (?) box as well for the XLR balanced inputs. When I bought mine the vendor (name and link on request) gave me their 'video forum' show deal and gave me one of these as a freebie along with a 6m XLR lead. Well worth it I can tell you.

Thanks for the lowdown Alan, really really appreciate it. Going off on a search now to find "McGill's New Gun", this will be a real help to look at as it is probably, short term, the job that i have in mind for purchasing the HD Sony. Again many thanks Alan

The copy of "McGill's new Gun" you're likely to find though is a small bitrate WMV posted on these forums under the 'clones videos' thread. Hence the idea of sending a disk so you can see what it's really like.

I saw the 255 bitrate - i will need to encode it to wmv at 1150 'ish and about the same size 512x28 so was pleased to see your footage. Thanks for the offer to send the footage but have to order the camera today or tomorrow in order to do the job.

Do think seriously about the beachtek box though so you have balanced XLR inputs. Phone up Prestons and see if they are still doing the 'offer'. they can only say no I suppose.

Blog Entries

Hope you're not offended Shiner, but I thought you were North American...

I have a beachtek A4 Alan from when i shot with the earlier Sony but will go for the Sony Z1 - basically the same as yours but switchable from PAL to NTSC which is a big plus factor for me plus the onboard XLR's in.

Marc, i'm just an old fashioned Suffolk boy !!! but based at the moment in the Czech Republic