Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Artwork - I seriously hope you enjoy

Default My Artwork - Must watch in HD!

Hi all this took me years, check the write up underneath the video on youtube. I have never released any of my hand drawn artwork until now. I would like to understand what people outside my family thinks of them !? more to come....
    Last edited by apewaxfilms; 11-10-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: This is a re- edit!

I'm not keen on the camera moves used to display the artwork in the video at all, but the artwork itself I like a lot.

David.

Blog Entries

Agree with DW.
    This, to me, is a perfect example of where video and static images do not mix.
    When you have a static piece which needs to be studies to be appreciated (such as a sculpture, a painiting, a building) it is best seen as a static image (eg a photograph). Here the viewer can study the entire piece, or an individual detail, in his/her own taime and give each aspect as much or as little attention as is required.
    With film and video, the director/editor is making the decision as to how long to spend on each detail.

This is fine when the maker wants to direct the viewers attention to something specific, and/or relates some sort of narrative, but, unless tthe director is "educating" the viewer about the subject, as in a lecture or a documentary, it doesn't really work (at least for me).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Agree with DW.
    This, to me, is a perfect example of where video and static images do not mix.
    When you have a static piece which needs to be studies to be appreciated (such as a sculpture, a painiting, a building) it is best seen as a static image (eg a photograph). Here the viewer can study the entire piece, or an individual detail, in his/her own taime and give each aspect as much or as little attention as is required.
    With film and video, the director/editor is making the decision as to how long to spend on each detail.

This is fine when the maker wants to direct the viewers attention to something specific, and/or relates some sort of narrative, but, unless tthe director is "educating" the viewer about the subject, as in a lecture or a documentary, it doesn't really work (at least for me).
    I agree, this one is going back to the render mill! I think I am going to do it again, however just with one fluid camera move. Thanks for the feedback it is appreciated.

I hope you like this version I wanted to show the detail which is reason for moving camera. I did take some advice but not take all ...what do you think now ?

I think it's better than before and Tim definitely has a good point about the artwork having been created for a different medium. But it can be showcased on video, perhaps not as well as on a gallery wall.

For me it's the changing camera directions that aren't working so well. If I was doing it I'd render out a whole lot of static close ups, wide shots, pans, tracks etc. and use them to add texture to a creative edit. There must be loads of opportunities for nice cuts in there.

David.

I like the artwork.

I was thinking further. It's not an easy thing to showcase the artwork on video and no matter what you do with it, to be successful, the edit has to shine over the artwork. If you want to showcase the artwork itself your probably better to upload it to flickr or somewhere. I'd like to see it in full and more of your work if you ever do.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I think it's better than before and Tim definitely has a good point about the artwork having been created for a different medium. But it can be showcased on video, perhaps not as well as on a gallery wall.

For me it's the changing camera directions that aren't working so well. If I was doing it I'd render out a whole lot of static close ups, wide shots, pans, tracks etc. and use them to add texture to a creative edit. There must be loads of opportunities for nice cuts in there.

David.

I had not really thought about the commentary and I think that this is something that I really will use in the future. Now I have in my head a really good idea for a next project. Much thanks to you and Tim for your input.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I'd like to see it in full and more of your work if you ever do
    Likewise. (And some more stuff to get over the miimum post length)
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast