Thread: Raw DV help PLEASE!

1. Default Raw DV help PLEASE!

Hi guys,

It's late so I'll be quick and cut to the chase... I have an HVX200 and a FS100. I accidently recorded to Raw DV and cannot get ANYTHING to read these files. I've tried decoders, converters, procoders, everything and nothing is working. This is important footage that cannot be lost! Clearly if this is an option on the Firestore, then surely there is something that can read these files?!
    I'm on a PC, using Sony Vegas Pro.
    PLEASE, can anyone help me out?!

I've got an HVX200 and I use Sony Vegas Pro. I've never had a problem viewing DV in Vegas. You mention something about a Firestore, does that mean you recorded your footage on the Firestore ? Have you uploaded the footage onto your HD and looked at what codec was used you can do this with GSpot. Footage from a HVX200 onto a Firestore is usually recorded in DVCPro HD. To edit this footage in Sony Vegas you need a plug in from DVFilm called Raylight Ultra.

Is this any help or am I missing the make with your problem.

3. Default

[QUOTE=Midnight Blue;170897]I've got an HVX200 and I use Sony Vegas Pro. I've never had a problem viewing DV in Vegas.
    I can pull it straight into my Vegas, but it just gives me a multicoloured snowy noise with no broken audio. I have checked the clips on playback on my camera and they are there and perfectly fine.
    I was able to convert these files using Any Video Converter to WMV1, and I get a very good picture with absolutely no audio.

You mention something about a Firestore, does that mean you recorded your footage on the Firestore ?
    Yes, I recorded to my firestore.

Have you uploaded the footage onto your HD and looked at what codec was used you can do this with GSpot.
    Used this and the result I got was Codec Status Undetermined

Footage from a HVX200 onto a Firestore is usually recorded in DVCPro HD. To edit this footage in Sony Vegas you need a plug in from DVFilm called Raylight Ultra.
    I used Raylight Maker and the result I got was Skipping what is apparently not a movie file.

I'm at a loss!!!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the HVX200 ie have you used one before.

What extension do the files have in the video folder ie .mxf is the usual file extension for footage shot with a HVX200. It is very important to copy the full directory structure and all the containing files along with a file called lastclip.txt which is found in the route folder without that little text file your clips won't play. The audio files are in a different folder to the video files which may explain why AVC didn't process the audio for you but the fact that it give you a picture is a good sign that things can be sorted out.

I'm still not exactly sure what you have done so it's hard for me to pin point the correct solution. In your first post you mentioned recording in raw dv which is a surprise to me as I didn't know the Firestore could even record in raw dv. It is a very good format but not very easy to use with consumer tools. I know very little about raw dv but from what I've read only NLE's like Avid can cope with it. BUT I say again I was surprised that the Firestore could even record in that "format".

With more info about your situation I may be able to help.

5. Default

I've been using my HVX200 for the past few years. If you shoot to P2, the contents folder comes up with all the files in it, (MXF and audio with others) but because I shot to Raw DV by mistake, it doesn't make those files. It just has a folder with the date on it, and inside are a whole lot of .dv files.

I found THIS. There is a downloadable demo version you can try.

7. Default

Thanks so much but I've tried that too! Nothing is working.

Ok, that's just not fair. Focus should have a solution for this issue, I'm sure your not the only person who has done this.

I found a thread in another forum that came up with a solution but this involves having Linux and a tool called Kino. I was also thinking, if the footage plays back from the Firestore to the camera, you could record this in a similar way to recording from the P2 card to the tape. I know this will mean downscaling to SD but it's better than what you have right now.

The only other (wild) idea is to play the footage from the camera to a PC via composite cables and capture the footage with a PC capturing program.

Sorry if none of these ideas work, I'm totally out of ideas now unless you have access to a Mac with Quicktime Pro I've read this can convert .dv to .avi.

It has been interesting for me to find out about raw dv which seems to be normal DV but without the wrapper which is needed by Windows to be able to read it. The conversion programs that can cope with it simply put the raw data/raw dv into a wrapper so it can be read.