Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Genie and Lamp

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default Genie and Lamp

    For the past three weeks we have been working on a scene for a short feature. This video is an effects and costume test for this particular scene. It required some complicated keying and compositing work in the editor to pull it together. After we work on the Genie's costume and his acting, we will do the actual scene again. What I would appreciate is your observations about the technical work and the 'feel' of the story as it unfolds. Thanks in advance.

    EDIT: Note, I have redone the Genie smoke in the last part of the scene. I think this looks better. [video below is now revised take]

    Last edited by worddigger; 11-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    The only thin I noticed on the effect was the colour of the smoke started off purplish the when you went to the front shot it looked white, then it went back to purple. Apart from that I thought it looked good. Well there was a little stutter on the opening glide-cam shot but not really noticeable.

    Well done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The only thin I noticed on the effect was the colour of the smoke started off purplish the when you went to the front shot it looked white, then it went back to purple. Apart from that I thought it looked good. Well there was a little stutter on the opening glide-cam shot but not really noticeable.

    Well done.
    Good catch on the smoke color. Thanks! I just used the color corrector to fix that on the master track. My 'Genie' thinks I need to have a plume of smoke rising out of the lamp and up to merge with the 'supporting cloud' in the last shot. I think I agree with him. I'll shoot some more smoke at the appropriate angle next week when we go back to work.

  4. #4

    Default

    My 'Genie' thinks I need to have a plume of smoke rising out of the lamp and up to merge with the 'supporting cloud' in the last shot. I think I agree with him. I'll shoot some more smoke at the appropriate angle next week when we go back to work.
    I don't think it's really essential, but it could work good. I do think the amount of smoke below the genie seems to thin, it doesn't help the composite, it's like he's not in the smoke or part of the picture. Having the smoke come from the lamp could fix that, but I think you definately need to add depth to the smoke cloud, either way. If I was you I'd shoot options in case the smoke from the lamp thing doesn't work so well.

    If you can get a cloud of smoke to go behind the genie that would add a lot of depth whether coming from the lamp or not, perhaps even a low opacity duplicate of this in front would be nice too.

    If you look again at the genie POV shot (I love that, it works really well) you'll see that the smoke drifts from the lamp too much, you could use the spout as a track point to attach it too.

    One last thing, the glide cam shot is too perpendicular for my liking, but that on it's own is not so important. It's the end framing. I just don't think it works. It leaves me feeling a bit awkward. The starting subject is left with the wrong framing and there's nothing to transfer the point of interest to the new subject. I was left to realise myself and look for it. I think if you kept the track the same but angled the camera in so as it's part track part back dolly you'd be pulling away from the first subject bringing the new subject into view, I think it would help.

    Thanks for posting, I'm liking it and look forward to seeing where it's going.

    David.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    David,
    Thanks for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    One last thing, the glide cam shot is too perpendicular for my liking, but that on it's own is not so important. It's the end framing. I just don't think it works. It leaves me feeling a bit awkward. The starting subject is left with the wrong framing and there's nothing to transfer the point of interest to the new subject. I was left to realise myself and look for it. I think if you kept the track the same but angled the camera in so as it's part track part back dolly you'd be pulling away from the first subject bringing the new subject into view, I think it would help.
    David, could you explain this in more detail - I'm not sure I understand the "problem" (though I agree that "back dolly" would help move attention away from the first subject and make the shot more interesting.)
    I thought the movement of the lamp (and the subtle lighting accompanying this) towards the end of the glidecam shot acts to transfer the point of interest? Are you suggesting this is not enough? Or have I missed your point?

    Digger, I thought the concept was excellent and teh keying very good. Agree with DW about the opacity of the smoke under the genie. I wasn't as worried as MB about the differen colour of the smoke - it is natural that it would look lighter/darker from different angles - it certainly didn't jump out at me, but you say you've tweaked this anyway. I did think the glidecam shot was a little uneven as was the "crane" shot, but I suspect that's just because these were test shots.
    Tim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Digger, I thought the concept was excellent and teh keying very good. Agree with DW about the opacity of the smoke under the genie. I wasn't as worried as MB about the differen colour of the smoke - it is natural that it would look lighter/darker from different angles - it certainly didn't jump out at me, but you say you've tweaked this anyway. I did think the glidecam shot was a little uneven as was the "crane" shot, but I suspect that's just because these were test shots.
    All: I have reworked the Genie smoke. I have also updated the original video at the beginning of the thread to show the revised work. Let me know if the smoke effects look better now. That is all I can change in the editor at home. The dolly and crane shots will need to be re-shot next week when we are back at the office (the studio). Again, I appreciate all the excellent feedback...it is most helpful.

    Thanks
    Digger

  8. #8

    Default

    I think giving the smoke more depth makes it look better.

  9. #9

    Default

    I think it looks better too, I think if it was the same width as the original smoke (or vice versa) it might look that bit better. I'm not a fan of the smoke from the lamp.

    David.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think giving the smoke more depth makes it look better.
    I also keyed some additional smoke elements behind the Genie (what a stack of tracks, keys, cookie cutters and garbage mats!)

Similar Threads

  1. (WTS)Pinnacle GENIE PLUS FX DVE v.4 Video Editing card
    By Amar in forum Ebay and other classified ads: gear, cameras and video editing stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •