Thread: need free software for vob editing

Default need free software for vob editing

I have home movies burned to dvd with vob extension. I need a vob editor. Suggestions? Thanks, Raleigh

Blog Entries

I am sure that, very soon, someone will post an advert for "free" software which will edit your vob files and, at the same time, investigate your hard-drive, record your passwords and web history and send it to a group of people in Russia.

I don't see how your comment addresses my question. Raleigh

The vob extension is a kind of wrapper around the files underneath and those files are MPEG2. You need software that can access the files on the DVD, parse (read through and understand) them and import on to your hard drive for editing. Any modern commercial video editing software can do this. Adobe, cyberlink, sony all of them.

If you want free software try Linux OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh View Post
    I have home movies burned to dvd with vob extension. I need a vob editor. Suggestions? Thanks, Raleigh
    If I can suggest, don't try copying the files directly off the DVD. Instead use a program called "handbrake"
    http://handbrake.fr/

T
    his is a piece of open source software, Software works like a charm, Use that to rip the files from the DVD, then you can drag those files into an editor.

It's a faff to find an editor for the .vob if your not willing to spend money, Use handbrake instead!

@Rob whilst I can't guarantee the KGB are not routing through the HDD, I would place this program in the same group as I would with VLC media player

Blog Entries

Handbrake is something special and I agree, probably the best free software out there, I use it myself.

What normally happens here is a brand new poster asks "What software can I use to rip DVDs?" then a day later another brand new poster "coincidentally" posts a link to a free software. Unfortunately there have been quite a few cases where this free software, as well as ripping DVDs has also been doing naughty things in the background. So, in order to discourage the spammers, I no longer answer "Handbrake" but try to discourage the spam posting from following directly onto the feed post by pointing out the dangers of "free" software from unknown sources.