Thread: Best Format to backup/archive videos?

Default Best Format to backup/archive videos?

Hello

I need some advice.
    I would like to backup/archive some important videos.
    Some considerations:

1. I would like to save money buying MiniDV Tapes. I know that they are the best way to backup videos as they have the highest quality (though tapes may turn mouldy)

2. If I backup to any format, there must be a way to be able to edit them easily in future, if needed.
    For example, if I backup to DVD format playable on DVD players, it'd be difficult/troublesome to edit them in future, as I have to rip the vob files and convert them to mpg format to edit in Adobe Premiere.

3. So I figure out that the best and fastest possible way (and saving space way) is to export to MPEG2 and backup as a normal data file on a DVD data disc.

So is #3 the best way? Are there any other better quality formats? I know that DivX or WMV are good, but I'm afraid when too much compression takes place, it may compromise the quality of the video for future editing. RAW DV AVI is definitely out as it needs huge amounts of space.

Would appreciate some discussion

for what you want the best idea would be just to keep them raw on a dv tape. If you want to save money, try buying in bulk, maybe from abroad depending on where you are.

In dubai they cost me next to nothing for box's of them.
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card