Thread: Converting TO digital camera format???

Default Converting TO digital camera format???

Hi thanks for taking the time to read this.

What I am trying to do is play video files on my TV via SDcard (as it has no USB ports) Ive tried a lot of formats including MPEG-2 PS format which is named in the manual, however I believe it is still the wrong codec.

I don't have a great understanding of video editing so if someone can advise me that would be very helpful, I have converted my .avi file to lots of different formats. DVD, MPEG-2 PS, MPEG-4, vob, mov, wmv and others.

My TV is a TH-P50X20Z. The manual is very hard to find online and think it must be to large to upload here so ill copy and paste the important stuff.

I am currently at work and can't remember the name of the program I'm using to convert, one is Procoder 3. The other is something all in one video converter which has ALOT of format options. But I doubt either of these are what I need so any software I might need please advise.

The SD card is FAT format and works to show images on the TV.

A couple of things to note from the manual,
    It states data modified with a PC may not be displayed.
    The card may become unusable with this TV if the file or folder names are changed. (Do I need to make use of the folder setup created by the camera?)

Id like to at least know that I'm converting to a format that should work before I decide it won't work purely because the file has been edited by PC, I would think the MPEG-2 PS format should work but maybe its a audio side of it that's not correct. Manual says AVCHD standard compatible files with an audio format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 should work but I'm lost as to how to convert from avi to that format.

(Currently the error I get is No valid file to play" which means the card has no data according to the manual.)

Thanks in advance.
    Neil

Manual

Data format for Card browsing
    ● Photo : Still images recorded with digital still cameras compatible with JPEG files of DCF* and
    EXIF standards
    Data format - Baseline JPEG (Sub-sampling 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0)
    Image resolution - 8 8 to 30,719 17,279 pixels
    ● Video : SD-Video Standard Ver. 1.2 [MPEG-2 (PS format)] and AVCHD Standard compatible files
    with an audio format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 format or Dolby Digital format
    (A modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.)
    ● Music : Data format - MP3 (.mp3)
    ● Card format : S DXC Card - exFAT
    SDHC Card / SD Card - FAT16 or FAT32

● Format the card with the recording equipment.
    ● The picture may not appear correctly on this TV depending on the recording equipment used.
    ● Display may take some time when there are many files and folders.
    ● This function cannot display Motion JPEG and still image not JPEG formatted (i.e. TIFF, BMP).
    ● A data modified with a PC may not be displayed.
    ● Images imported from a PC must be compatible with EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2.
    ● Partly degraded files might be displayed at a reduced resolution.
    ● The folder and file names may be different depending on the digital video camera used.
    ● Do not use two-byte characters or other special codes.
    ● The card may become unusable with this TV if the file or folder names are changed.

A quick look at page 44 of the PDF "TH-P50X20.pdf" from Panasonic's site does NOT refer to any option to play videos via the card. Are you sure you are quoting from the correct manual?

See page 51. You may have the wrong manual as I could not find it on there website.

Note you are reading "TH-P50X20", it may not matter but there should be a Z on the end of it. If you can find "TH-P42X20Z", this manual covers both the 42 and 50.

Blog Entries

It's possible that your equipment is lookin for a specific file structure within a card to play videos or photos. For example my ps3 will only automatically play AVCHD files if the original file structure is intact (you can get around this by browsing to the video). As your manual implies that video may not play if altered, it's likely that video will only play if you've taken this directly from a camara.

Blog Entries

This may put you on the right path: ::: multiAVCHD tutorial :::

Ok thanks for the reply's.

I will look at that tutorial. I think with regard to the file structure if i was to take some photos with the camera then shift the photos into a different directory, and also try clearing the folders and having the photos directly on the card, then that would give me an idea if the structure is required.... makes seance I think.

But in saying that photos are surely easier to manage than video so might just read them anyway... Ill play around for a bit and get back to you.

Thanks.