Thread: Think, don't Swim

Default Think, don't Swim

This is a river safety film made by a friend that I'm pimping called "Think, don't Swim". It was made to show the hidden dangers of fooling around in the river Ouse or any other river.

Blog Entries

If you have a lisp wouldn't it be called "Think, don't thwim"...?

Nice film though. Great concept. I really love the headstone effects, what a clever idea and they were really well executed. Some cool lighting but I found the "heavenly choir" a bit much and some of the camerawork was a bit jerky at times.

I thought the headstones was a clever idea as well. He's a really nice guy so I wanted to promote his work as the message is important to York as lots of people really do die in the river every year.

Blog Entries

A sad tale and sympathetically filmed. But if I may be allowed to set emotions aside ...

The headstones is a clever idea, yes, but can go both ways. I'm sorry to say I thought it looked like a joke. I think here is a case of "less is more". To guarantee this is taken seriously I'd suggest he should introduce it much later in the film with just one headstone initially and, if increasing the number of headstones, accompany that with facts which may be represented by the number of headstones. If "only" (sorry for the cold language) one person died here it is sensationalist to show numerous headstones (and thus loses some credibility). If several have died in this locality, show several headstones and accompany it with a caption or v/o saying so (if you have to go back twenty years - so what? it's factual). If you want to show more tombstones, use statistics from a larger area ("Over the past 20 years x hundred people have died due to misadventure in the UK) - THEN you can show loadsof headstones.

I don't know where this is inteded to be shown, but my guess is that most of the target audience will have turned off before we get to the drama sequence.

I'd start with that. This was very well filmed and well acted - the girl deserves an oscar for her "eyeing the guy up" performance - totally believeable and it had me hooked on the story. That is waht I believe is going to draw your audience in. Then go to the matter of fact pathologist and rescue worker giving their ratehr gory details, ending up with the grieving mother and sister (there's no reason why we shouldn't show clips of them earlier, but keep the bulk of it until after we've hooked the viewer in).

Just labouring the point I'm trying to make: Watching a grieving family cold is not nearly as effective as watching the same shots once we've become involved in the story.

I feel like a real shit putting it like that as we're dealing with real people, but I really believe the impact would be so much greater (and you'd keep more of the audience) if you start it as a drama and lead into the facts and finish on the real world losses.

Oh, there was some bad sound throughout the recordings of the mother and sister which wasn't present during the recording of the rescue worker or pathologist. Shame.
    Tim

I'm sure if we all had the same brief, we would all make very different movies. It's probably going to be shown in schools, rescue services websites etc. I noticed a bit of buzz during the mother interview as well but as it was the real mother I sure the director thought it's better not to say sorry love can we do that again. Three people have died in the rive so far this year and many others in the past. If this film can save one life then it has done a great job.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-02-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Ooops - you hadn't asked for a critique!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If this film can save one life then it has done a great job.
    I wouldn't argue with that for one second. But I still believe that starting with the drama would capture and hold the attention of more people and therefore have the potential to save more lives.
    Tim

I can't argue with that.