Thread: Long time Adobe users?

Default Long time Adobe users?

About me:
    am new to the world of video editing. Till now i ve only used Windows movie maker.

I ve used photoshop and audition since 9 years, so i love adobe products.

Now i am planning to get into movie editing, Adobe Premiere with After effects looks very promising and i am planning to buy it.

My question is:
    how much has adobe premiere and after effects changed from previous versions.

I see i can find some good deals on ebay for older versions of the program. Is it like a HUGE difference?

PS:
    For example, i am still using Photoshop 7 and i can do almost anything that i would want in Cs5 etc versions.

PSS:
    Also if i use an old version i can use them on my laptop, as the newer software ve more features and tend to be heavier

Please guide...

With a lot of programs at the moment there is the 64bit issue to consider, and this is a big thing when processing HD video. While you may or may not get any artistic benefits from using Premiere CS5.5 over CS3 (for example) the way they work with the latest hardware is a big difference. CS4 was like the transitional release. Older than CS3 you might find you need to run it in compatibility mode to get it to install on a 64bit version of windows (if it can), and for CS5 or later you won't be able to run it on a 32bit version at all.

David.

I wud be usin it on Windows XP machine 32 bit

And i would be using a technique which i learnt about recently, that is proxy editing (also known as offline editing). So i don't think i need all that power of CS5?

Feature wise, would it be safe to say that i can do routine things in older versions?

Would u upgrade to newer version because its not possible to do somethings in older versions?

When it comes to straight editing features there's not really been much added. CS4 will run on 32bit, CS5 and 5.5 wont, but I would recommend CS3 it was a solid version, so was Pro 2, but CS3 was nice.

David.

I just had a thought, you could burn DVD's directly from Pro 2 with menu templates, If I remember right you needed to go into Encore in CS3 and later, that might be worth considering.

5. Default

Premiere is very promising and the best in my opinion. I say you need to get into at least cs3 in the suite you gotta get outta photoshop 7 PS7 doesn't even have content aware that was the best release! The features the Adobe team have added over the years is simply insane! The cs5 for video editing is a must when it comes to the advancements from back in the day...I cannot stress that enough...with the mercury engine running 64bit win 7 with the right graphics card it will blow your mind....after effects is a big overhaul as well pretty much the best release I can even remember that stand out as cs5. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
    Premiere is very promising and the best in my opinion. I say you need to get into at least cs3 in the suite you gotta get outta photoshop 7 PS7 doesn't even have content aware that was the best release! The features the Adobe team have added over the years is simply insane! The cs5 for video editing is a must when it comes to the advancements from back in the day...I cannot stress that enough...with the mercury engine running 64bit win 7 with the right graphics card it will blow your mind....after effects is a big overhaul as well pretty much the best release I can even remember that stand out as cs5. Good Luck!
    the OP is running Windows XP. CS5 will not run on XP.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    the OP is running Windows XP. CS5 will not run on XP.
    CS5 is the main reason I switched from XP to Win 7 and was well worth it....