Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scale down or shoot original format video

Default scale down or shoot original format video

Hi,

I am wondering something.
    I need to show a movie on a website on a certain format.
    The format used is 720x576. Now I have three options with downloading the movie footage.
    - HD quality on 1920x1080 with 23,976 fps.
    - PAL quality on 720x576 with 25 fps.
    - NTSC quality on 720x576 with 29,97 fps

I can download the PAL or NTSC footage on the right format and be happy about it but what if I download the HD footage and scale it down to the 720x576 format.
    Will the quality be better or not? (that's the question)

A second thought I had was that the movie can be shot only once or else it wouldn't be the same movie. So the highest quality is HD 1920x1080.
    Every other format smaller that the HD is an eddited (scaled down) version of the HD footage. Right?

So... I hope someone can explain to me why I should or shouldn't download the HD footage and scale it down.

Thnx in advance.

MvB

So... I hope someone can explain to me why I should or shouldn't download the HD footage and scale it down.
    How can you upload a video to a website and then downscale it, unless you mean uploading to a site like Youtube that will automatically downscale it.

Yes always shoot in the best quality you can even if you know it will be downscaled who knows what might happen in the future, you might be asked for a HD version.

I don't need to downscale it on the website where I'm uploading it because it's my own website. I want to deleiver it to the website on the right format.

I don't have to worry about the future (sounds kind of corny doesn't it) but the question was if the quality will be better if I downscaled a HD movie.
    The reason I think this way is because if I shoot the footage with an HD camera it is allready at an better quality while the other camera isn't

I'm sorry I'm not understanding you properly.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean so I can understand.

I have 3 options on a website where I want to download my footage:
    - HD quality on 1920x1080 with 23,976 fps.
    - PAL quality on 720x576 with 25 fps.
    - NTSC quality on 720x576 with 29,97 fps

I need the final movie on the 720x576 format. But I think that if I download the 1920x1080 (HD) and downscale it I get a better quality.
    I'm now looking for the answer if this is true or not! and why

Shoot it and upload it to the website in 1080p

Then downscale it to 720x576 for the DVD or what ever.

Is that what you mean.

Your giving the impression that your downloading a video that already exists on the web to then either upload it to your website or re-compress it with lower settings before uploading-

Is that correct or would I be right in thinking that your using the word "download" instead of "upload". The latter would kind of make your posts make sense?

David.

That is what I mean but what I want to know is will the rescaling be better for the quality or not?

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    Your giving the impression that your downloading a video that already exists on the web to then either upload it to your website or re-compress it with lower settings before uploading-
    That is right

When someone uploads to a video site they upload at their resolution and the website downscales and loses quality. So assuming you have permission to use the video you'll need the highest quality version. Or better yet request the original upload before they converted, often if it's on Vimeo the uploader allows a download of the source file for a limited period of time.

If you downscale it before uploading to your site you will be in control of the compression settings, so can quality assure the video before uploading and save yourself bandwidth at the same time.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 10-28-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast