Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Stained Glass Making.

Default The Art of Stained Glass Making.

Hey guys.

We're a brand new videography company from Manchester, UK. Just thought we'd showcase one of our first productions and get some feedback from all you fellow video enthusiasts. We shot this video for a friend who just recently set up his own stained glass company 'Light Leaded Designs'. He's been in the business for years but recently decided to branch out and explore a more contemporary style that revolves very much around traditional tattoo art. It'd be great to hear your thoughts on it and we'd be super appreciative if you could spread it round and get others to watch it. We're relatively new to the forum game but we'll try best we can to leave feedback on other people's work.

This video was shot on a Canon EOS 550D - lenses used Sigma 17-35mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8

Other Equipment used - DIY Dolly - Halogen work-light softened with a simple flash umbrella

Edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 w. Magic Bullet Looks

Available in 1080p for the optimum viewing experience

Thanks for the support

Black Rock Creative
    Last edited by Black Rock Creative; 10-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Very nice job guys.

Blog Entries

Oh, I really like this.

My only criticism is a personal dislike, I think there are too many "Fade out - fade in" transitions for my liking. That's just my personal opinion though.

I liked the camera moves, the composition and the way you worked with depth of field. I liked the way it was edited (apart from the fades) and I think that this is one occasion where the magic bullet effects are justified.
    All in all you should be proud of this job.

Blog Entries

Really liked it too. On first watch, I played without sound and found the timelapse sections out of pace with the rest. I thought this would be countered by the music, but I think they come too quickly in the piece. Again, perhaps a personal opion.

I thought the dips to black went well (but perhaps because this is something I would have done).

Good work.

thanks for the comments guys. we definitely learnt a great deal from this project, that's for sure. once we decided we were going to use the beats in the music as a transition point, we kinda felt obliged to use it throughout for continuities sake.

Blog Entries

It was beautifully filmed, had a narrative and was an interesting process to watch ... so I'm wondering why my attention started to wander after about 90 secs.
    Perhaps it was that the music was a bit hypnotic - not quite enough happened in it - perhaps it was that the video needed breaking up a bit (the change to showing the finished article at the end snapped me out of it). I don't think a v/o is what is needed, possibly some very brief captions or titles - not throughout, just every 30 secs or so. Something to break it up.
    With just the shots and the music, I think it makes a good 1:30-2m video tops. It just needs an extra "something" to justify the 4min in my opinion. Soff I ca't be more precise.
    Tim

Thank you for the feedback Tim. Much appreciated. We had similar reservations ourselves with regards to the length of the video but found it difficult when it came time to choose which bits to get rid of and which bits to keep. Being concise with your work always tends to take a great deal more skill, so it's something we'll be aiming to improve on in the near future for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Soff I ca't be more precise.
    Gremlins in my fingers (or artheritis maybe). That was meant to say "Sorry I can't be more precise".

Black Rock - when you've edited out evertything such that you're left with a selection of shots, all of which you really want to include, it's a very difficult call. If I'd filmed that, I wouldn't be able to choose, either. (Not really an issue as I don't film anything like that for quality).
    Tim

A nice clear job

Great to watch a video about a stained glass panel being made, rather than one on how to make your own stained glass panel. It worked well to show the craft and skill involved but two things bothered me: first, I wondered what detail I was missing when you switched from regular time to speeded up time-lapse. Secondly I would have prefered a music track more sympathetic to the art form, (totally subjective, I know, but I would have used a slow Bach piano piece rather than a Lewis Hamilton backing track). I thought it needed a recognisable tune with a beginning, a middle and an end. I didn't much like the fade to black transitions only because there were too many of them in the bunch. I wondered at one point if we would ever see a matching-action transition...
    Taken in the round, though, it was a lovely subject cleverly lit and filmed. Considering it was all about craftsmen working painstakingly at a bench you managed to get a lot of movement in the video and you never bored me by staying with a viewpoint for too long. Well done and thank you, you have a production here you can be rightly proud of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast