Thread: transferring film on vhs cassette to dvd on laptop

Default transferring film on vhs cassette to dvd on laptop

I would be so grateful for somebody's help. I have a Dell 2350 desktop pc with a 2.50GHz/512k integrated sound, card, video and NIC (whatever all that means). I am perfectly capable of transferring film from my Sony TRV33 to this desktop, editing it with Pinnacle Studio 8 and with Sonic MyDVD making a dvd. No problem.

However I have about 15 x 3hr videocassette tapes that I would like to transfer to dvd, but my dvd player (standalone) is play only.

I have 2 x dvd recorders, a NEC +R/RW on the desktop, and another, a Sony +/- R/RW on my new laptop. This new laptop (Sony 315S) also has an AV out (for TV and line out) [I took this info from the spec sheet!]. The Sony has an ATI Radeon IGP 345M Chipset integrated for 3d performance and up to 128 mb of memory - again this was taken from the spec sheet.

Can someone please tell me if I can use the AV out to transfer the vhs cassette material onto the rw dvd drive on my laptop. If so, how do I do it! I have tried connecting the laptop to both the vcr and the tv, but nothing happens, so I guess I might need some software?

Sony's manual is not very clear for dim people like me!

Any help that anyone can give me, even if it is to say it's not possible, will stop me spending hours trying to achieve the impossible.

Forgive me if I am missing something here. But why don't you transfer the VHS to MiniDV using the AV IN capability of the TRV33, and then transfer the digital DV to your dekstop?

Default vhs transfer

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, that was/is an option, and I have done this with another camera, but it was the daunting task of sitting down with 15 vhs cassettes, each holding 3 hours of video, and transferring it, an hour at a time, onto dv tape.

I suppose I was looking for an easy way out, and as I am retired, I do have the time.

If I win on the lottery, I will buy a dvd recorder and just transfer them that way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks again.

Mmmmm. Difficult to say. You mention that the links on the Laptop are TV Out and Line Out. If that is the case then I can't envisage the Laptop being able to import an anologue (VHS) signal. Look on the bright side though, if you transfer to Mini DV then at least your footage will be readily transferable and editable.

Perhaps soem other forum contributors may be able to advise of other methods.

Good luck though.

I have never seen a laptop with AV in, so I imagine that's a red herring, the connector is there to send the laptop screen out to a TV and not the other way around.

*Perhaps* you could get all 3 hours at once if in fact you do not need to do the intermediate step of recording to MiniDV. It is possible (I do not know the specifics of your camcorder) that you could just plug into AV in, set some switch (probably hidden in a menu rather than a simple switch these days) and then start capturing DV on the PC.

The problem will be that 3 hours of VHS tape will take up a LOT of disk space, so you might end up doing about an hour or so at a time anyway.

You could get an analogue capture device, these are fairly cheap, see Marc's (the Webmaster) excellent guides on his website for products. This will allow you to compress the video as you capture it to not take up so much disk space and still transfer it to DVD afterwards.

All the best,

Blog Entries

Analogue to digital conversion is a time consuming process - you simply can't get away from the fact that no matter how good your system, you'll only ever be able to convert in real time.

You have a LOT of footage to convert to DVD, so you have to ask the question: Do I really need all the footage? Being realistic, there's probably a LOT of scope for editing your footage - and I'm basing this on the assumption that it's home movie footage here . In this regard, Purejammy is spot on with his comments about transferring to miniDV first.

Thank you all very much for your various contributions which have proved very helpful.

After having read it all thorougly I guess I will end up transferring everything an hour at a time into the camcorder, editing it, then transferring to dvd.

A time consuming exercise, but at least I should be able to get rid of at least half of it during the editing as it is footage from the time I bought my first video camera in 1990!

Thanks again guys.