Thread: Mac AVI movie wont play on windows to edit in adobe premiere, so what format will?

1. Default Mac AVI movie wont play on windows to edit in adobe premiere, so what format will?

Hi there. I created a movie using keynotes, exported as quicktime and finally edited with music using imovies. Final 'movie' is in m4v format.

My videographer who is using windows (adobe premiere) cannot read this file. He asked for AVI so i downloaded mpeg_streamclip to convert this m4v file to AVI but he still cannot add or read it as he says its not a Microsoft AVI.

He has 2 DVDs to make of my 2 daughters 1st birthdays and he cant do the 2 dvds without my 2 presentations.

He now tells me he managed to convert one but having seen it on the final DVD, the frame jumps along with the audio in a couple of places.

How do i do this? please help.

Ah the joys of keynote/imovie

Whilst I use macs, I've never touched Imovie, Is it possible for Imovie to make a .mov file? rather than that m4v format as that is the format you would use for Ipod ect I think...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Ah the joys of keynote/imovie

Whilst I use macs, I've never touched Imovie, Is it possible for Imovie to make a .mov file? rather than that m4v format as that is the format you would use for Ipod ect I think...
    I can create a .mov file (basically QuickTime) right?
    He is saying his computer software won't take QuickTime. He said it'll only take microsoft AVI and the AVI I have given him is a QuickTime AVI. I thought AVI files were all the same regardless if it's from apple or Microsoft. I'm guessing it's got something to do with codecs?

He has said he has used DV storm to edit. This is an old one they are using cs5.5 for one video but other video has been edited on 1.5 which is old version of adobe. Just need someone to tell me how I can convert a QuickTime AVI to one microsoft will accept. Or is the videographer not trying?

I lean towards your thoughts that he's not trying. The file extension is just the container. I just had a quick look at iMove and there never looked like any where obvious to change what codec it uses. It looks like your limited to the presets, I just exported a file at full 1080HD in an mov container and right clicked "Get Info" on the file, under "More Info" it says it's the H.264 codec. Unless someone familiar with iMove can tell you if it can be changed you'll either need to find something that will convert what ever codec your files have or ask him to check if he has the codecs to open it.

David.

I don't understand fully what is happening.

What program did he use to create the 2 DVDs? Or did he use Premier 5.5 for one and 1.5 for another, If so is that because one is hugely old or were they both edited at the same time

Also, Why is he using DV storm-2 which is meant as a real time editing device to churn out content quickly when he has Premier 5.5?

Premier should be able to eat up a .mov from Imovie...I'm next in work on Thursday, I'll see if I can spit out a mov from Imovie and take it into premier.

6. Default

What program did he use to create the 2 DVDs? Or did he use Premier 5.5 for one and 1.5 for another, If so is that because one is hugely old or were they both edited at the same time

Also, Why is he using DV storm-2 which is meant as a real time editing device to churn out content quickly when he has Premier 5.5?

Premier should be able to eat up a .mov from Imovie...I'm next in work on Thursday, I'll see if I can spit out a mov from Imovie and take it into premier.
    The old one he is editing from 2 years ago. The recent one he is doing on 5
    Cs5. He says he's tried on Cs4 also. I think he's tried dvstorm as he's not getting anywhere with adobe premiere. My guess is that his software is somewhat dated and he cannot for whatever reason take my QuickTime avi files. What I really want to know is, is there a difference in an avi file created by a mac than that with Microsoft?

If so then what format can I give him to work with? He says he's only going to try once more so I need to give him something that works. I regret going to him now but I dont know of any other videographers.

Here are a couple of links that might help you.

OSX Lion Media Encoder

ProRes Decoder for Windows

Lion can encode .MOV files with the ProRes codec, but it is quite limited. If your editor was to download the windows ProRes decoder he should be able to read, but not write, with it. I can't see any reason why Premiere wouldn't be able to open the files with it installed. But I think you might need to buy Compressor to get the proRes codecs, I'm not 100% on that.

David.

8. Default

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I still can't get it to work, did you have any luck? Cheers