Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a jib.

Default Thinking of buying a jib.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a jib to give myself added value as a camera man to my customers.

I thought something like the Hague K12 (why start small). I know I will need a load of extra stuff like a monitor, cables, remote, pan & tilt head etc. One thing I haven't found is a remote focus pull. Is it normal to leave the camera in auto focus when using a jib ?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

"You can tell a man by the cut of his jib"

I always wondered what that meant. Maybe you should arrange some time with Andy Lockwood since he really is Mr Crane Man. As for the focus, wouldn't a lanc controller do it?

Blog Entries

I think you need to be specific, Midnight - you need a remote witrh focus for your Panasonic (HVX201 IIRC). There are certainly LANC controls for Sony and Canon which have remote focus adjust.
    Tim

Thanks guys, I've only seen remotes that do zoom, I'll have to look into this further. I guess your right Tim it would have to be the right one for my particular camera.

Google is my friend. OK I've found something but it's £285 with the vat. I can see this is not going to be a cheap solution to giving added customer value ie make myself more marketable.

It would be very useful to spend a bit of time with Andy but I don't like to impose on people.

I got a USA made jib about 3 years ago and it's been really useful. Got the remote pan and tilt head from Hague and clipped a monitor by the weights at the drivers end. Small enough to pack into our little 206 van and it all sits on a set of heavy tripod legs.
    As far as focus and exposure goes, I always locked both before flying the cam. Got some beautiful wedding venue shots that are used regularly.
    The only limitation I found with the cheaper one I have is the smooth start and stops, though with practise and a few extra takes, they have always worked out fine.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

I'm more of an ebay man myself and I've found this... Tripod LANC Remote Control for Sony HDR-UX7 HDR-SR7 | eBay

Just search for lanc remote and you'll find loads at prices under £50. Most seem to do focus. Add an extension cable for a fiver and you're away. The lanc protocol is quite generic, I use a Sony lanc controller on my Canon and it works quite happily.

Forgive this question Zero but how big is yours. AND was it cheaper than the Hague. With all the add on's it is an expencive business, so if I can save a few quide here and there.

Rob, Ebay can also be my friend. I'll take a look at it for one that works with my Panny.

Thanks for asking. Mine's massive, had no complaints so far . . . but back to the cranes.
    I've been scouring for the website of the one I bought - here's one I looked at
    Camera Crane Camera Cranes Camera Jib Boom and as soon as I find the unit I bought, I'll post it for you. There's import duty added too which makes it a little more expensive.
    Mine was the 200 version from here = BC Media, Inc. :: Turn-key ProAm® DVC250 Camera Crane Production Package
    Great company to deal with too!

QUOTE=Midnight Blue;170324]Forgive this question Zero but how big is yours. AND was it cheaper than the Hague. With all the add on's it is an expencive business, so if I can save a few quide here and there.

Rob, Ebay can also be my friend. I'll take a look at it for one that works with my Panny. [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Zero; 10-24-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Only just seen this thread.....

The K12 is a very nice jib. I've added extra bars to increase its reach though, in spite of Hagues advising me it wasn't safe. It's very safe.

Power head - DO NOT buy the Pro-Aim!!!!! The hague mini head will do a DSLR but not much more - If I had the cash I'd go for the Kessler myself.

LANC - Mine is pretty basic actually - no focus control but that has never been an issue so far. Thats the next bit of kit I need.

Monitor - Lilliput off eBay serves very well. Dolly - Got mine cheap off ebay and same for tripod. Saved around a hundred quid off Hagues price.

Anyone can feel free to PM me with any specifics.....

EDIT - Sadly, a K12 went for just over 400 on ebay yesterday.... bargains can be got - but take my advice - DONT waste money on the Asian copies - you might as well flush your cash straight down the toilet.

Blog Entries

One other thing of course - I am willing to do a 'mates rates' hire so you can play with something proper before you commit....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast