Thread: in need of advice

Default in need of advice

I am 21 year old student with a goal that some might say is unrealistic, but I thought I would try anyway! However, I don't even know where to start!

First of all, How does one secure the rights to an already existing animation in order to essentially remake it but with a story that is closer to it's source material though with a more mature atmosphere, as well as give it a much higher budget?

Secondly how do I even gather the necessary funding to purchase said rights and then produce said project. I am tempted to inquire about the potential of Product Placement but due to the direction I want to take the story I would rather not unless it is absolutely necessary. (note that the direction is simply to make it more appropriate for children over the age of 11)

(if it is any help at all I already have attempted to contact the license holder Kodansha but the line is always busy every time I place a call to their international department.)

I would appreciate any advice or guidance so I thank you in advance.

Keep trying to speek to the licence holder, without either paying for the right to remake or buying the rights out right, you just can't move forward with your goal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix4045 View Post
    (if it is any help at all I already have attempted to contact the license holder Kodansha but the line is always busy every time I place a call to their international department.)
    Sorry if this sounds somewhat old-fashioned, but have you considered writing to them? Snail mail, I mean. It's much more likely to receive a reply than an email and you won't be doing a Blondie *** for ever.

*** "Hanging on the telephone"
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Tim

Send a hand written letter? I was actually trying to avoid that... but you do have a valid point! so I will give it a try.

Before you pin much hope on this I wonder if you shouldn't do some easier work, to give potential partners (which they will be, sharing those Rights). Sadly it won't be "Animation" as these are all recent creations (and still in copyright).

One of the q's anyone will be concerned about will be: "Can this YM deliver?"
    So, you need to attempt what you intend to create in a somewhat similar area - preferably something that's out of copyright, but "well known" . . . off top of head . . . Greek stories?
    Shakespeare is another source of Copyright-free.

Good Luck.