Thread: Video clip "Birding. Hobby or Mission?": please comment

Default Video clip "Birding. Hobby or Mission?": please comment

Dear all,

I recently produced a video clip "Birding. Hobby or Mission?", which is currently taking part in the international WWF Video Competition "Life. Nature. You. Make the Connection". We would be grateful to receive as many as possible comments on it. In case you like the clip and/or the idea, I would appreciate if you vote for it (Vimeo requires registration first, which takes seconds only):
    Birding. Hobby or Mission? - Life. Nature. You. Make the connection. on Vimeo

Many thanks in advance!
    Iva

I think you've made a nice little video but I found having to read the titles was a distraction from the nice images you captured. A voice over would have been better.

Thanks for commenting. I was in a situation to choose between titles and a voice of a non-native EN speaker, so I've chosen the former...

I suspected as much but that didn't stop Jacques Cousteau.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be so concerned with the fact that you used subtitles. It was teh way you used them that i found distracting.

Building up a sentence in two ore theree parts - especially when you remove the previous parts - means the viewr has to concentrate (a) in remembering what the previous part of the sentence is and (b) on watching out for the next part of the sentence. It's a bit like it's much more difficult to understand someone if they say G - O - A - W - A - Y than if they say "Go away". All this distracts from the most important things which are (a) the images themselves and (b) the meaning of the words.

I appreciate you've tried to be original and draw attention to the words by animating them as you have, but for the reasons I've said above, I fear it's had the reverse effect.

The place it DID work was at the end. (Life Nature. You) and it worked here because it was (a) a conclusion - and a very short (as in thre words) and (b) you didn't remove the earlier parts of the line.

So I'd say if you're going to use captions, you need to make them as effortless for the viewer to read as possible.

Otherwise I thought it was a good video. Igoring the way you chose to display them, the captions were clear and concise and the video related to the words on the screen. Goo ambient, good choice of music.

good luck.
    Tim

Dear Tim,
    Thanks a lot for this profound review. It is really important for me to see how people perceive the clip in order to know what to improve in the future.