Thread: My first production

Default My first production

This was my first ever real project I took on myself with little to no knowledge at all other than what I had taught myself. As a result it is riddled with mistakes but I did learn a lot from it. I have grasped and been working on the obvious issues it holds such as the sound, poor takes etc but would really value any criticism on the not so obvious mistakes made that I may not have picked up on!

The video itself was shot over 1 10 hour day with no option of looking over the footage and doing any re-takes (unfortunately).

Sky CST - Somerset - YouTube

The aim of the video was to show new employees what to expect from the centre, but more importantly to show other Sky contact centres (in the same department) what this centre was all about and to raise awareness.

Blog Entries

It's the obvious mistakes which show that it's not a "professional" production I'm afraid.

The sound is awful. The composition on the interviews is sloppy and the lighting non-existent. These are three basics which any customer should expect to be competently dealt with.

I can't believe that the first shot is unsharp! The signpost starts out of focus and becomes sharper but remains slightly unsharp. This is simply not good enough. At this point I would stop the DVD and be showing you the door. Next... use your tripod! The establishing shots of the building should be rock-steady. There are wobbles a-plenty. This is what we call "bad". I know what you've done... Rushed through the general views. remember every shot has a value and the establishing shots are the most important as they dictate how the viewer sees the rest of the video.

...and it goes downhill from there with the mistakes you already know about.

Sorry to be so harsh, you're not the worst we've seen but, if you want to earn money from videos you really will have to up your game.

Thank you for taking the time to view it and give some constructive comments. Your not being harsh at all, like I said I need the criticism and to have anything and everything pointed out to me

When I shot this, like I said I had no real knowledge of what I was doing at all. And nothing but two cameras and one very cheap tripod! No knowledge of recording sound, no lights or idea on lighting etc!

But all of this I know and have since worked hard on, I really would appreciate some more in depth criticism which isn't the obvious and that doesn't completely stand out if that makes sense?

Rob is correct in his observations, so I won't touch on them again. A couple of things I didn't like in the edit, I liked the opening of the door but the going up the stairs had a wobbly effect on it which is hard to tell if it was just bad camera work or added in post, so it's probably best to take it out. The tracking/dolly shot that ends at around 50 seconds is a bit fast. While the two guys playing Let's Dance on the Wii is funny I think it went on a little to long for what it's purose is. I can't believe you put the jery effect on the ducks at 3:25.

I think the content gives the impression that you are looking for so well done fo that. It does show promise in that respect.

Thanks for your feedback MB, again very much appreciated.

I have a client project mid November so I need to make sure I am on top of everything as I will need this one to go well as it is certain to lead on to a lot more work.

Would still appreciate anyone else's input if theres anything thats been missed?

Thanks again!

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

No repeating what you alrady know.
    Just to expand a bit on the composition of interviews that Rob touched on ...
    The closer to the line of the camera that the interviewee is looking, the more one feels he is talking to the viewer. You (or the interviewer) should sit as close to the camera as possible to get the interviewee looking in the right sort of direction if you want a subjective look (ie where the viewer feels part of the piece). The further away from the camera the interviewee is looking, the more objective the shot. If you actually want a more objective look (as if the viewer is dropping in on, or observing an interview/conversation) I'd suggest showing the interviewer in at least an establishing shot. Just seeing the interviewee in almost profile is a bit "wierd".

Way to go guys, rip into the new amature filmmaker and make him feel like

Blog Entries

Users post videos here for feedback, not promotion or back slapping. That's what youtube's for. Regular posters have a reputation for providing considered technical and artistic comment.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWGUY View Post
    Way to go guys, rip into the new amature filmmaker and make him feel like
    I appreciate you may have been trying to defend me / my work but the comments made is exactly what I wanted! Its a tough career path, huge amounts of competition and with no solid background in the field; trial, error and people (a lot more knowledgable) giving me some of their time to point out bits I have missed, overlooked or just got plain wrong is extremely helpful.

Blog Entries

New Guy, you will notice that we have critcised Mr Fox but stated that he needs to improve. In other words, he shouldn't give up but carry on getting better.

Also, he has posted here before and I don't feel that he's such a sensitive soul that our comments will make him "feel like crap". He's moving into the professional world and it's better that we tell him what's wrong with his videos, rather than a client!

Have a look at the feedback from the regulars and you'll see that amateurs and newbies get treated a lot more gently than the pros or semi-pros. As Marc wrote, if you just want praise and adoration... go to youtube.