Thread: Video Encoding for self-hosted web - with Vegas 11 Movie Studio

Default Video Encoding for self-hosted web - with Vegas 11 Movie Studio

Hello;

I just started using Vegas Movie Studio 11 HD a few weeks ago and have been impressed with everything I've been able to do with it. I've used many adobe products over the years and did use their video editor in the past, but I read some posts on this forum that indicated that Vegas was clearly the better product so I started using Vegas for my current projects.

I'm trying to make some videos that I am going to host myself (s3). I'm trying to figure out the proper way to encode these so they can be played by on as many devices as possible. There are a number of sites that offer online encoding that make the process seem quite complex, if this is something I can do myself with Vegas, I'd rather not pay a service. My main compute is a i7, 2.8ghz, 8GB ram, but I plan to upgrade the ram in the near future. It appears from what I have read that it is more complicated that just rendering a Mp4, but after hours of reading, beyond that, I'm still confused as to what I need to do for compatibility.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this same encoding process via Vegas? I've read of people using something called Handbrake to encode the videos for the web also, but have not looked at that.

Is this multi-device encoding process possible with Vegas, and if so can anyone steer me towards some directions that might make it a little more clear as to how I go about it (e.g. what profiles I render the video as).

Thanks.

Jamie

Blog Entries

Unless you have a very good reason to self host, why not choose something like Vimeo Plus, where you can tailor the player, embed it in pages, and have a whole host of other features? It won't bust out your bandwith either.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Unless you have a very good reason to self host, why not choose something like Vimeo Plus, where you can tailor the player, embed it in pages, and have a whole host of other features? It won't bust out your bandwith either.
    Thanks for the idea, I had not looked at Vimeo in some time and it is cheaper that I thought it was. If this process becomes more problematic, then I will have to just use a service like Vimeo for now, but it's looking fairly good at the moment.

I have a lot of hours of video that we want to put into a password protected membership library. All the services that I had looked at had gotten to be quite expensive when hosting large amounts of content. There will likely be a poor ratio of views / transfer to disk use; meaning that we are going to be paying to keep a lot of video online that isn't going to get played all that often. It's all video aimed at professionals in our industry, so we would be unlikely to make any money by placing ads on it, I think the membership site is going to be our best bet.

Flowplayer seems to offer just about every feature you can think of (embed, share, custom player, etc.) the challenge seems to be in understanding the programming / scripting to get it setup and running.

We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 MiniDV tapes to get transferred / edited. I'm not sure how much of it will end up going online. So the potential exists to get a TB or more of video online.

I've put the movies I've done thus far up on Amazon S3, which is something like .12 cents /GB / Month; putting me at $120/Month for a full TB. I don't think I will find any video service even close to that price range is I actually get into that volume of content.

I've gotten most of flowplayer figured out. I'm working on setting up timed buttons on top of the video that link out to different pages (e.g. to direct someone to a file to print, a mailing list, etc.). I've had it all worked except it lost my place in the player when I clicked a link. I just got a message back from flowplayer about how to fix that and I'm going to go try it in a minute.

I don't think my other message made it, I think I must have tried to post during your upgrade yesterday. I did use Handbrake and successfully converted some files. I put them online and was able to view them in flowplayer from my PC, Android phone and Ipod, they were not very high quality to start with (it is a webinar recording), so it's hard for me to say how Handbrake did, other than to say it did work.

I'm going to try one of the encoding sites with something higher quality just to give myself something to compare handbrake to.

Thanks
    Jamie