Thread: What is typical standand time for burning DVD?

Default What is typical standand time for burning DVD?

I edited and converted some old analogue videos to DVD. Total play time is 1 hour 35 minutes. The AVI file totaled approx 19 Gb on my PC and it took just less than 4 hour to get the DVD burned which included the codec conversion. Query: Is this excessive time normal or is my pc not up to it. Using a Fujitsu Siemens Amolo Athlon AMD 2500+ laptop with 40 Gb hard drive and 512 Mb memory.

Blog Entries

I ALWAYS use a seperate encoder when making DVDs. In general (and with no filters etc) my PC will encode from AVI to DVD compliant MPEG2 in 2/3 real time (longer with de-interlacing, 2-pass etc). Then I've got a 4x DVD burner, so 1.5hrs should be done in a quarter of that time (in theory). So if all things went according to plan, I'd have a 1.5 DVD encoded and burned in around 2hrs.

Your harddware sounds more than adequate - but encoding is the most CPU intensive thing you'll do with a PC and DVD Burners are still SLOOOOOOOOOOOW (and will be for a while until some bright spark works out a way to overcome the data transfer rate limitation!)

Even if you had the best equipment, you'd still be twiddling your thumbs waiting for your movie

3. Default

Thanks to all, for those varied and interesting opinions. I always thought I was warding off the boredom factor by keeping the movie to under one hour, that is until my last customer said she had put a full day to one-side to watch her DVD. She actually thought she was going watch the whole day 12-30pm to 9pm in full, nothing at all taken out.
    The mind boggles. I need to improve my communication skills.
    Thanks again.

What speed does an Athlon AMD 2500+ processor run at? Is it 1.6ghz or 1.8ghz? One of my computers has an AMD 4000+ Dual Core and it only runs at 2.1ghz, which is just the bare minimum for capturing and rendering SD video. If you keep turning out 19GB video files that 40GB hard disk won't take long to fill up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    What speed does an Athlon AMD 2500+ processor run at? Is it 1.6ghz or 1.8ghz? One of my computers has an AMD 4000+ Dual Core and it only runs at 2.1ghz, which is just the bare minimum for capturing and rendering SD video. If you keep turning out 19GB video files that 40GB hard disk won't take long to fill up.
    Think this 2003 thread was dug up by mistake...

Whoops! Talk about loosing your marbles, it happens to all of us sooner or later... 2003, I never spotted the date. This time machine is taking a bit of getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I ALWAYS use a seperate encoder when making DVDs. In general (and with no filters etc) my PC will encode from AVI to DVD compliant MPEG2 in 2/3 real time (longer with de-interlacing, 2-pass etc). Then I've got a 4x DVD burner, so 1.5hrs should be done in a quarter of that time (in theory). So if all things went according to plan, I'd have a 1.5 DVD encoded and burned in around 2hrs.

Your harddware sounds more than adequate - but encoding is the most CPU intensive thing you'll do with a PC and DVD Burners are still SLOOOOOOOOOOOW (and will be for a while until some bright spark works out a way to overcome the data transfer rate limitation!)

Even if you had the best equipment, you'd still be twiddling your thumbs waiting for your movie
    Hi Marc

You mentioned you use a seperate encoder....any reason for this? And how would you export the project?

2 files (175MB each) to be burned on 4 DVDs. 20 files on each DVD. I have Nero Vision 2007. When i select 20 files, the size should be 3.5GB. It means I can burn 20-25 files on 1 DVD. But Nero Vision shows the size as 6.3GB and says Problem may occur while burning DVD.
    Last edited by Mark W; 10-23-2008 at 01:52 PM.