Thread: 'Royalty Free' classical music from Internet

Default 'Royalty Free' classical music from Internet

Hi,

i am a film maker from London. I see 'Royalty Free' music on the internet for tens of dollars. Can this music really be used in my film anxiety free? It might be Royalty Free but are there other costs/legal problems - copyright infringements. I have a piece of music in mind and the composer has been dead 100 years.
    It will cause a lot of problems if I find out I cannot use the music later on. is there a definitive text fro finding out more about this?
    I am grateful for anyone's help.

regards Saj

Hi, it's true you can buy these tracks for peanuts. it all depends on the piece you're looking for but if you google YOPO (and others too) they not only list lots of high quality classical tracks that can be bought as an album or individual track, but all the info you're looking for.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Just to clarify,

The music itself is out of copyright, but copyright still exists on the recordings themselves. You need to ensure that the licence you buy with each piece of music covers that as well as the rights to sync (ie dub) to a video. "Royalty Free" generally means you pay once (a fee which includes a royalty) and can use many times, but it's worth checking the small print.

PS Great call on YOPO, Zero.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Tim

Hi Saj,

Some music may be public domain in terms of their composition as their composers have passed on some years but their performances (played or produced by who) are not free to use. There may be 2 fees that you may have to pay which are fees to get the rights to use the recording and also perhaps royalties.
    Yes you are right that it is a good idea to. Some music may be public domain in terms of their composition as their composers have passed on some years but their performances (played or produced by who) are not free to use. There may be 2 fees that you may have to pay which are fees to get the rights to use the recording and also perhaps royalties. Try searching for production music or royalty free music. Yopo is affordable. Also try googlin JewelBeat.com at 99 cents or royaltyfreemusic.comwhich is a good place to start.

Blog Entries

Or you could simply repeat what I said and take the opportunity to pinp your own site.
    Tim