Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Show reel

Default My Showreel

Random scenes from short film and documentary projects ive been working on over the past 12months.
    Some are complete others are works in progress. Some scenes were shot at 720p and up scaled to 1080p in post production.
    Others are presented as they were shot at 1080p.

Last edited by enc; 10-12-2011 at 09:41 PM.

You know how much I respect your ability to get a great shot, this a great piece which shows how a nice composition and good framing, along with the correct exposure etc.... paints amazing images on the screen. I'm not saying every shot took my breath away but a lot of them did. The question is it a good showreel, well I think it shows off your talents well as a camera man. Is it too long ? Yes and No. The slow pace of the music and fitting editing needs it to last but will people watch it to the end ? I don't know, I did but I know you. I suppose knowing who the showreel is aimed at or it's purpose would help to know if it really works for it's purpose.

If it's is just to please MB then it ticks all the boxes.

Cheers Dave

who is it aimed at ? the usual .... friends , family, people who appear it it .....i was thinking of maybe using it on the splash page of my website (another work in progress). In hindsight i agree it needs pruning a bit. ill have a play.

I enjoyed it. And I bookmarked it, as I intend watch it some more times. Once again, I am amazed at how simple you make it all look. I suspect I could learn something from almost every scene.
    Some viewers might wonder about the spelling of "I've" in the opening texts; and the missing space in "12months".

Beautiful images in there. I would be interested in knowing what camera and equipment you use. Also what settings do you prefer for outside shooting, as its something Im still finding difficult. But really enjoyed watching your work.

I really liked enjoyed it but as a showreel I think it could be certainly be trimmed back a little (like the shots of the lady on the phone) so that only the very best material remains. But the imagery compelled me to stay to the end which is, of course, a good thing!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob2k View Post
    Beautiful images in there. I would be interested in knowing what camera and equipment you use. Also what settings do you prefer for outside shooting, as its something Im still finding difficult. But really enjoyed watching your work.

Thanks jimbob

opening scene is Nikon D3100, 18-55mm kit lens
    thistle plant Sony HX9v,
    Haunted cottage Panasonic TZ10,
    Pond Nikon D3100,
    Loch, farmers field sunset Sony C105
    Horse, Panasonic SD700
    Slug, Sony HX9V
    Skateboard pool, Sony HX9V
    Girl on Phone, Panasonic SD700
    Race Car, Panasonic SD700
    Ladybird, Sony C105
    Bridge, Nikon D3100 18-55mm lens lens
    Butterfly, Pnasonic TZ10
    Manchester, Nikon D3100 8mm fish eye lens
    Snow, Nikon D3100 50 mm
    Media City Nikon D3100 Sigma 10-20mm lens

(nearly) always use manual settings outdoor .... may go someway to explain my crappy exposure (which i'm desperately trying to improve)

Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    I really liked enjoyed it but as a showreel I think it could be certainly be trimmed back a little (like the shots of the lady on the phone) so that only the very best material re!
    Thankyou

Do you mean the girl on the phone shot needs cutting or thats about the right length ?

I meant cut it out entirely. I have a few moments like that in my show reel as well which now in retrospect I should have removed to keep it more snappy - I badly need to cut a new one soon myself.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

well i tried a re cut to make it a bit "snappier" but it doesnt work with the portishead track i used. i think its back to the drawing board and start from scratch TBH lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast