Thread: Double-Bookings

1. Default Double-Bookings

I am quite new to the videography game, but as each year goes by I am doubling my workload, which I am really pleased about - but what I am not pleased about is the high frequency of enquiries from people who "love [my] work and would love [me] to film their wedding" but low and behold, the date is already booked up!

I have one cameraman who attends all weddings with me - and he keeps telling me that he could handle these double-bookings by shooting the second wedding for me. I could also hire an additional cameraman for that day to accompany him, while I shoot the other wedding solo.

But I am terrified of trusting anyone else to film an entire wedding by themselves. If something goes wrong, it's my reputation.

How do other members here handle double-bookings? It's a lot of money to turn away...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
    ..If something goes wrong, it's my reputation..
    Exactly. And reputations are hard won and fought for. You're fortunate enough to be obviously sought after - and that status means one thing - you are now in a position to charge premium rates for your work. So - stick with what you have, do the very best job you can and preserve that rep . Consider a slightly higher price and stick to your guns. That's my advice. Don't feel too bad about losing work this way. Better that than a story in the Daily Mail telling the world your company screwed up in some horrendous way. You'd be trashed forever.

One slight addendum - if train your man to work your way (they perhaps do already but you clearly don't trust 100% yet) and ONLY when you're satisfied he / she is fully capable THEN allow them out on a second shoot. But that trust has to be COMPLETE. Further more - you have to be supremely sure you can handle the extra editing work as it comes in without a quality slippage too.

I used to take a lot of double bookings and as Andy says, they need very careful planning and are always fraught with agonies in the edit. My partner who knows all my shots inside out used to take main cam and we would use a couple of trusted operators as 2nd cam.
    Second cam is always pretty straight forward - locked off for speeches and ceremony with just the odd change of crop for variety, so if someone can produce the same main cam shots as yourself, go for it, but they must understand how critical these shots are.
    Once I allowed a seasoned operator to take main cam. 12 years wedding experience blah blah blah. I sent him a DVD I made to show the main camera coverage . . .Disaster!
    His ceremony coverage was horrendous and he couldn't understand why until I brought him to the studio. Minor earthquakes every 30 seconds.
    My comment - You didn't take your hand off the pan handle did you? "No" - Why? - "The camera would have tilted" - Why - It wasn't balanced up correctly was it? Errrr . . . 12 years experience and it hadn't occured to him that you don't just slide the cam on and lock it.
    Other shots he made, despite me making it clear every shot was from tripod, were his on the shoulder shots - wave,wave,wave,zoom,zoom,zoom,. He thought he was showing me how artistic he was. An idiot!
    Luckily my partner recognised his limitaions early on and put him on 2nd cam for the rest of the day.
    My point is, that many see themselves as very experienced. So experienced that they can't change their style to suit yours.
    Your defined style can be added in the edit providing you have the killer shots to start with. If you do decide to double up, put your 2nd cam onto main cam for a couple of weddings while you do 2nd cam and can correct his performance on site. When you come to the edit, go through his shots with him to explain why it needs correcting or praise where it's due. Only then can you rest assured that a 2nd wedding will be covered correctly.
    Our good reputation is hard earned and nothing can be allowed to compromise the quality and I've learned the hard way that many talk the talk.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Also remember twice the bookings is twice the editing, and the work could end up losing quality as it now becomes a conveyor belt to get it done and your artistic skills will wane.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Also remember twice the bookings is twice the editing, and the work could end up losing quality as it now becomes a conveyor belt to get it done and your artistic skills will wane.
    That is one very important aspect not to overlook. As the backlog increases and the phone rings for details of a completion date, there's a rush of adrenalin. The knack in this is not to let the pressure make you rush the edit. So, there's 10 edits waiting and the 5th in line wants to know when theirs is ready. I would always say, "you're 5th and I don't rush anyone's edit, so completion is about 5 weeks from now" (1 week per edit) and I certainly won't rush yours either.
    One happy client cause they have a rough date and the knowledge that you'll linger over their edit too.
    If you keep the standard up they're more than happy to wait.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club